Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My laptop crashed. I purchased a CD from the laptop manufacturer. This CD reformatted my hard drive to its original "out-of-box" state. When I reboot, it asks for my product key. I have lost my certificate of authenticity. I called the laptop manufacturer. They tell me that I am a registered user of Windows 98 based on the OEM arrangement they have with Microsoft. For the low-low price of $29.95 they will give me another product. If I am already a registered user of Win98 and am not trying to "beat the system" or install in an unauthorized fashion, why do I have to pay. Do I have any other alternatives? Please note this is the original Win98. I tried a 98SE license that I have for another machine and it didn't work. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated...

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hello jetonenet....

well, now you know what Micro$$$oft is all about....they wanna squeeze all the money outta ya. One thing you can try is call them (micro$oft) and see if...well, if you get through to someone that would be an achievement on its own. Explain them your situation and see what happens....or , if you can get to a machine that has win98 you can try going into registry and drill down to the following string (word of advice, when dealing with registry, be very very very very careful...if you mess up, you might regret it.)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ProductID

or you can use google to search through 2 billion and 1 warez sites for a code , but thats not as legal as you might think. Your choice.

HTH

[edit] and of course, welcome to the forums

·
Registered
259 Posts
I used to know this trick...... I am not sure if it will work with WIN98 tho......

Use all 9's as the product key number, I know it works with 95 fo sho!!

TC

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Valiant, are you sure this will work with win98 ? on that website it says that win98 and xp dont store the code the same way. And he cant get the os booted as well...I think it wont let you go any further unless you put the actual code in ?....... :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yeah..check Johns site...I posted that under 95/98 I think...it works on all of the OS and office and more...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.