Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sending up a flare. My computer locked up today after much web surfing. After a hard power down, I cannot get my NIC to respond. Checking the Device Manager, the Network Adapters section is gone. I tried to re-install the driver to no avail. I get the "Unable to run the test. Device not found on the system. The "test NIC" ran ok but gave me nothing.
I ran to Fry's and purchased a cheapie card with the same results. Windows did not detect the PCI NIC either. What's next? Sigh. Tell me I don't have to re-install windows. :-(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly, yes, I tried a different slot with no luck. I forgot to mention that the original NIC was on the motherboard. And I did try to restore my computer to a (many) different date. This is not looking good. :-(

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
First off, I'd reset the system BIOS to factory defaults and reboot. Next, let's see this.

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc

Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, after I manually installed the (D-Link) external card, there is a ! on top of it. I can also manually scroll through a list and re-install the old on board Realtek which also pops up with the ! next to it. Still, neither will respond. At least the Network Adapters icon is back on my Device Manager page. :-l

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to mention that I did check the Bios. Compared with other PC's in the house. No difference. Restored factory settings and re-booted. No improvement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That seems to be what I think. ie re-install windows. The NIC card functions but the windows link to the NIC is broken. I can't find a virus like it anywhere, so I think that I am to blame...ok, I am to blame either way. Any other ideas on how to repair other than a windows overlay?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Like I said, if the NIC is bad, reloading windows won't fix the hardware. Before reloading, I'd want to know if the NIC really has died.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.