Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I lost 7GB+ of my hard disk space due to some unknown reasons. I was trying to move a large .exe file(1.78GB) to a folder, and my computer didn't seem responsing, so I repeated the "cut" & "paste for a couple times. Then my pc just froze, so I had to cut the power. After it restarted, I noticed that I lost 7GB+ of hard disk space. My guess is that WinXp held a large space to make copies of the .exe files, but the power was off before it put the copies into the specified locations. And WinXp wasn't able to release the space after restarting. Does anyone know if I can get back my hard disk space? or I need to reinstall windows? Any helps will be appreciated. Many thanks!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
uumm

yes check ur bin and empty it, also check to see if ur system restore is on, turn it off to gain more spce on hdd's

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually did the 5-stage disk check last night(chkdsk), but it didn't help. Also, I used the "DiskAnalyzer Pro" to check my system status. It appeared that all my files/folders/programs had taken only 32 GB. So it should have at least 18GB left (my hard disk is about 50GB). However XP only show that it has 11GB free space. In other words, 7GB of space is missing, and whatever took that much space is unidentifiable.

I have also emptied the recycle bin. Neither are there any large hidden files.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.