Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem!

My son loaded a game on our family computer (instead of the kid's computer) and then uninstalled it so that we would not know that he had done it! Well, he got the message, "Do you want to delete all common shared files" and he said yes and we have a mess.

I have been able to get the computer working, but in the process had to delete my (Mark's) user account and open up a new one. The password would not work, etc.

Windows told me that it would save the My Documents folder and files under the name Mark Doll as a folder on my desktop. It said that all other things under that user account would be deleted. I said ok and when I tried to access the Mark Doll folder, all the files were gone! And they had been there just moments before!

I know, I should have backed them up, but I trusted what I thought Win XP was telling me!

Can those files be recovered? I have an older back-up, but have lost some things that I really need, if I can get them back!!!!

Help!

Mark Doll

·
Registered
95 Posts
You could try checking out your recent Restore points. Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Just try and think back to when the computer was the way you want it and find a restore point that fits. XP should create some automatic restore points at different times. Haven't had to refer to that yet so im not really sure how it works.

Good Luck with getting your files back :angel:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
? though - isn't system restore, just that - it will restore the system? Or does the restore do a "full backup".

I would imagine it would just be the old system files and registry settings and possibly some sort of file allocation table (or NTFS' equivalent). If it made multiple images of the full system - it seems like it would take up too much room.

Consequently - I doubt it can be used to recover deleted or overwritten files that aren't system files.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think it does do a full backup. I had to do a system restore, and a few programs that I had removed were back on after I did the restore.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I belive within reson it returns the system to the state it was...the problem being is when something gets deleted it is overwritten with gibbersh that marks it as reusable space on the HD if using the system after the deletion over writes that space then you are in a bad way and thoes DOC's might be lost..>STOP using the system until restore is done...then go out and get some recovery software ...it might help...might!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That seemed to be the case! I was able to restore the system to the way it was before but no files appeared. I even had the folders restored, but there is nothing in the folders. I am afraid that I won't be able to get those files again, unless someone has a miracle up their sleeves!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It is my understanding that when a file is deleted, it is simply removed from some kind of table on the disk drive. The space is "unreserved" and is allowed to be used by the OS to over write.

Over writing does not necessarily occur right away - depending on the utilization of the drive.

Therefore, might it not be possible to recover the files with some kind of third party "undelete"/recovery utility?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.