Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the situation:

I recently decided to update to Service Pack 2, and using windows update, was told that the updater itself needed to be updated prior to the SP2 upgrade. When I allowed Windows to do this, I lost support for my second monitor. I then proceeded to continue with the SP2 update thinking it might fix the problem.

I am running XP Pro on a dual processor machine with 1GB RAM, a nVidia Quadro 4 980XGL card, and two DELL 1702 FP displays

1. When I boot up the computer with the monitors connected (both digital cables) one way, the computer both BIOS boots and WINDOWS boots on only one monitor. After boot up, if I switch the monitor cables, the screen switches (logically) between the two monitors. The active screen shows a green active light (of course), and the inactive screen show the amber (sleeping light). This indicates to me that the issue does not lie with either the monitor itself, or the cables, as each monitor will function.

2. When I switch the monitor cables BEFORE startup, I get the BIOS boot up on both screens, but neither one goes to the WINDOWS boot screens. I don't recall if the monitors stayed on the green active light or on the amber sleep light. It just acts as if it is dead, and the only way to get anything back up is to once again switch the cables and reboot (thus going back to one monitor).

I currently have the DELL 1702FP driver installed for one monitor and a windows default monitor installed for the other. I have removed the default monitor and installed a second 1702FP and I still have the same issue.

I have installed the current nVidia drivers for the GPU and it still doesn't correct the problem.

When in situation 1, I go the display properties and try to extend my monitor to the second display, it shows me that there are two displays, and allows me to do so. This does not, however, activate the second display (although it seems that Windows thinks it does).

After doing some research on the nVidia website and downloading the Quadro Workstation Users Guide (updated June 2005), and reading the description of the MultiView Display Modes, I realized that the nVidia software does not display the nView Display Settings option if there is no second monitor connected. It does not let me see these display settings.

After all of my efforts, I have come up dumbfounded. I also find it very strange about the discrepancy between the two boot up issues I described above.

Any advice that you might offer would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I go to my display settings I do see both monitors. It allows me to extend my desktop to the second, but I get no response from the second monitor (even though I know it works)

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Go to the device manager. Display adapter. Driver tab and click on the roll back driver. This should put you back on the driver you had before you updated to SP2. If this does not work, just download the latest driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have already done that, and it has no effect. I have also done a system restore to a point before I installed SP2 and it says that there were not any changes to the system.

·
Registered
282 Posts
you may have already tried it butif I remember right those Dell monitors have a button on the front of the panel to switch between inputs, have you tried switching the input by hitting that button? It's the only left I can think of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.