Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all:

Dell Laptop computer, Windows XP, O/S. A year or so ago I reformatted the HDD and something went wrong and I wound up with an unwanted partition. So I HAD C:\, D:\ which was about 1GB in size (the unwanted partition) and E:\ CD ROM drive. Rather than start over I left the unwanted 1GB D:\ alone.

I eventually decided to use the D:\ partition to store my digital camera photos on. Has worked great for almost a year.

I recently updated my Kaspersky antivirus software from 2011 to 2012 and a few days later needed to offload pictures to my D:\. (I mention the Kaspersky update because this has been the only major change I've made to the computer)

However, my 1GB D:\ drive is no longer listed and ofcourse my photo file folders are no longer visible.

Any ideas on how to recover this drive partition?

aibling328

·
Registered
276 Posts
Have a look in Disk Management. See if there's an unallocated 1GB partition there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, found Disk Management. Found this:

Volume Layout Type File System Status Capacity Free Space
(Blank) Partition Basic FAT Healthy (EISA configuration) 55MB 48MB
(Blank) Partition Basic FAT32 Healthy (Unknown Partition) 3.51GB 5MB
(C:) Partition Basic NTFS Healthy (System) 24.37GB 7.79GB

%Free Fault Tolerance Overhead
87% No 0%
0% No 0%
31% No 0%

So much for my memory! I'm guessing now that the 55MB partition is the one I want to recover. I'm now basing this on the 48MB free in this partition and the amount of photos I've saved.

I have no idea what the FAT32 volume is unless it's the Recovery Disk area and or the XP O/S. I don't think the O/S is 3.51GB in size!

I've explored the options available at the top of the Disk Management page and find none open to me or any that work.

Where should I go from here?

aibling328

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Download the trial version of r-studio scan the drive for your data if it finds it then purchase and recover data to another drive
Sorry.... answer too vague for my ability. Besides, I can't afford to buy any software that might or might not help me. (Been there, done that, got a T-shirt!) Thanks anyhow.

Will take the same money and let a computer techie recover the files.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
paying for a tech to recover files , the cost is usually pretty high for recovery ,

not only does it take some time , it also usually based on how much data you are trying to

recover, its best to scan to see if your data is still there in the first place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.