Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i deleted 52 gigs that was in one folder on my desktop.
all The files were mp3 music files with the exception of a few movies. can anyone help me get these back? is there a software that will help me get them back? please help.
what happened was that i assumed that the folder would stay in my recycle bin but the folder was so large that it didnt store in my bin at all. at the same time i thought i had transfered the folder away from my desk top but actually did not. anyone, i mean anyone got any help for me? thanks J

·
Registered
171 Posts
ok first of all when did you deleate them, meaning the date now that you know the date go to start then programms and then assecories and go to system tools then go to system restore. then just restore your computer 2 like maybe 2 days before you deleated it and every thing should be back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that does not work!

that was the first thing i tried whenb it happened. all it restores are setting and things like that but not restore the actuall mp3's
all it restored was the folders in other words just the names of the albums without the actual music inside them. anything else? any software your aware of? anyone? thanks

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
More then likely you have lost them then. Excepcially if it was more than a few minutes ago when you delete something if you dont recover it right away the hdd drive sees it as free disk space and write over it anytime you make and change to you system and the files on it. Now had this happened 2 minutes ago there may have been hope but now I sincerly doubt it. You could try going to download.com on another machine and downloading a file recovery program that can run on a floppy disk but this still may not work.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You might also ponder what happened and learn a lesson here. Backup is essentual, and storing things in desktop folders isn't the most secure place.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are several different "restore" programs ie.

"O & O Unerase", "DIY Databack", etc.

I have used these many times, and they work great as long as the data hasn't been overwritten!

oops!:winking:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Allchan said:
There are several different "restore" programs ie.

"O & O Unerase", "DIY Databack", etc.

I have used these many times, and they work great as long as the data hasn't been overwritten too many times!
Actually, they don't work if the data has been overwritten once! Think about it. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
funkshun23, whats up?

I would say they are lost...Not that I want to because I know the feeling but....when you erase data, most OS just remove reference to that data in the registry and the space that data was residing on is marked as free...99.9% of the time that space is filled up in no time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.