Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k i burnt a DVD with a bunch of media on it last spring. i gave it to a friend to copy to his harddrive. now my DVD drive will not read the disc and when i go into my computer the DVDdrive icon turns to CD drive and it says nothing is on the disc. what is going on here? i just want to get the stuff thats on the disc.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi jerryspringer

Test to see if your DVD drive reads other disks OK. Try both CDs and DVDs. If it can read other disks fine, then your backup DVD has been altered.

Take the problem DVD disk and see if it can be read in your friends DVD drive.

And a few questions:
1) Was your backup DVD disk a DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD-RW?
2) If a "write once, read many" disk (DVD-R or DVD+R), was it created to allow multi-session burning (so you could add more data later), or was it "finalized" (so that no more data could be written to it)?
3) If it was a burnable DVD that was not finalized, did your friend write more data onto it, whether manually, or automatically - through a packet-writer like InCD?

I've seen DVDs and CDs that were originally written in older versions of burner software (an older Nero, for example) lose the earlier data - if a newer version of Nero adds data to the disk. The only data then available is what was added. I would imagine that the sections of the DVD that act as what you can think of as "table of contents" or "index" is altered - and the "pointers" to the previous data are lost.

There are programs that attempt to read and recover data from CDs and DVDs -- most are not free (the going rate seems to be $30) [the "free trials" of such programs often will only rescue a tiny amount (ie, 64kb) before you have to pony up full payment]. I didn't see many reviews of these tools, either, that give much indication as to whether they are effective or not.

CDfreaks.com usually has good info on burner related issues, you could take a look there, too.

I'll look around a bit more later on --- let us know if you find a suitable solution in the meantime.
. . . Gary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.