174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am now running:

AMD 5800 + dual core

XFX 9800 gt 512 ( 2 ) SLI mode

MSI K9N SLI V2 MB

am looking to step up the CPU and video cards

I have an Ultra X4 1050 Watt PSU.

was looking at the AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad and 1 or maybe 2 ( SLI ) GeForce 260's or higher cards.

according to the MB list I can run the CPU, just want to know if i'll see any improvement for the money spent.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
You will need to replace the Ultra PSU with a quality brand (Sesonic or Corsair). You should replace it anyway as Ultras's are pretty low quality.
One GT260 requires a minimum 500W so you would need to be in the 650W range with one.
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX is on special for $10 more than the 650W $108.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
Using two GPU's increases costs way beyond the small increase in performance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went with the AMD 9650 Quad and a GeForce 260 896 MB card, should be here today.
am not too worried about IF the PSU can keep up, sure it will be just fine. it has been powering my computer for months now with no problems what so ever.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Your choice on keeping the PSU. Hopefully you're good fortune will prevail.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it screams...wow. PSU is having no problems running it. what is so wrong with an Ultra PSU anyhow. it's 80+ Silver Certified, it has 76 amps on the 12 volt rail. i have read countless reviews from Pros to hardcore gamers to novice users about how wonderful Ultra PSU's are yet they are trashed on here all the time....just wondering.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guessing it's just a matter of choice. i have 5 computers in my house all built by me, 4 are running Ultra PSU's and 1 is running a Corsair. i have used the brands on the list you pointed me too and have had them fail before.... as with ANY hardware for computers you get today it's a crap shoot on how long it will last. i have hardware thats 4 - 6 years old that purrs and yet have installed hardware that lasted 15 minutes and dies.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If you read the whole post I linked to you will see it is not a matter of choice but a matter of using quality PSU's. All brands have failures but using quality brands those failures are rare. I sell PC's retail and I rarely have any hardware failures because I use nothing but quality parts. If/when the rare failure occurs I can count on a quick and trouble free replacement from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was just asking a question about the Ultra PSU's, not looking to get into a finger pointing contest about which brand is better. i have used Ultra PSU's for a few years now with not one failure, when it fails me i'll look into another brand like corsair or seasonic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.