Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the computer: Compaq Presario CQ5200 Desktop PC series -  Compaq Presario CQ5210Y Desktop PC Product Specifications - c01861133 - HP Business Support Center
Compaq Presario CQ5210Y.

According to the thing, it says "motherboard processor socket is AM2+". I scroll down and it says the "AMD Athlon II x2 215 socket is AM3". But when I scroll down more, it says:
TDP: 95W
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
NOTE: Only socket AM2+ processors are suported with this motherboard.
  • AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
  • AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
  • AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
  • AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
  • AMD Athlon X4
  • AMD Athlon X3
  • AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)
And then above it says the AMD Athlon X2 (B) (whatever B means?) is AM2+! I'm so confused. Also, I don't know what TDP is. Is that the max wattage the CPU can be? Also, I wanted to upgrade to an AMD Phenom II X4. Is this possible?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
OEM PC's use Mobo/Bios made for them and all CPU's that will work on the retail version of a Mobo may not work on the OEM version. The best source of info would be from HP/Compaq to avoid any problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OEM PC's use Mobo/Bios made for them and all CPU's that will work on the retail version of a Mobo may not work on the OEM version. The best source of info would be from HP/Compaq to avoid any problems.
But that's the point; they aren't providing the right information.

Oh, loook what I saw on this web site:
AMD Phenom II X4 microprocessor
AMD Phenom II X4 is Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket AM3
AMD Athlon II X2 is Socket AM3
AMD Phenom II X6 is Socket AM3

Does this mean i can use the phenom ii x4?

EDIT: And on Newegg.com, ALL the AMD processors say they are socket AM3: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,CPUs / Processors,Processors - Desktops,Socket AM3

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
But that's the point; they aren't providing the right information.

Oh, loook what I saw on this web site:
AMD Phenom II X4 microprocessor
AMD Phenom II X4 is Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket AM3
AMD Athlon II X2 is Socket AM3
AMD Phenom II X6 is Socket AM3

Does this mean i can use the phenom ii x4?

EDIT: And on Newegg.com, ALL the AMD processors say they are socket AM3: Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,CPUs / Processors,Processors - Desktops,Socket AM3
Who is not providing the correct information?
You're linking to retail versions of your Mobo.

OEM PC's use Mobo/Bios made for them and all CPU's that will work on the retail version of a Mobo may not work on the OEM version.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who is not providing the correct information?
You're linking to retail versions of your Mobo.
So, if the web site says the motherboard supports only AM2+, and the AMD Athlon II X2 processor is AM3, and Quick reminder: AM3 chips compatible with AM2/AM2+ boards says
ars technica.com said:
...anyone who might have forgotten that AM3 CPUs, which are due to launch soon, will be backwards compatible with Socket AM2/AM2+ motherboards.
, then that means that all AM3 processors will be backwards compatible with the AM2+ motherboard, so that means I can even put in an AMD Phenom II X4 in my computer, even though the HP web site doesn't say anything about backwards compatibility (but even though it probably works)?

Sorry about berating, but I don't want to make a mistake.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
The Narra5 board has an AM2+ cpu socket. All AM3 processors will physically fit that socket. Some, but not all, AM3 procs may be supported by the board. Supported procs (see TDP) are outlined in your post #1. Contact HP/Compaq for confirmation of specific cpu's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.