Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking to upgrade CPU, but not sure about specs...

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gcavan 
#1 ·
Ok, here's the computer: Compaq Presario CQ5200 Desktop PC series -  Compaq Presario CQ5210Y Desktop PC Product Specifications - c01861133 - HP Business Support Center
Compaq Presario CQ5210Y.

According to the thing, it says "motherboard processor socket is AM2+". I scroll down and it says the "AMD Athlon II x2 215 socket is AM3". But when I scroll down more, it says:
TDP: 95W
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
NOTE: Only socket AM2+ processors are suported with this motherboard.
  • AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
  • AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
  • AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
  • AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
  • AMD Athlon X4
  • AMD Athlon X3
  • AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)
And then above it says the AMD Athlon X2 (B) (whatever B means?) is AM2+! I'm so confused. Also, I don't know what TDP is. Is that the max wattage the CPU can be? Also, I wanted to upgrade to an AMD Phenom II X4. Is this possible?

See less See more
#2 ·
OEM PC's use Mobo/Bios made for them and all CPU's that will work on the retail version of a Mobo may not work on the OEM version. The best source of info would be from HP/Compaq to avoid any problems.

#3 · (Edited)
#9 ·
The Narra5 board has an AM2+ cpu socket. All AM3 processors will physically fit that socket. Some, but not all, AM3 procs may be supported by the board. Supported procs (see TDP) are outlined in your post #1. Contact HP/Compaq for confirmation of specific cpu's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.