Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I want a new motherboard and CPU but I have no idea where to start when it comes to weighing statistics or even their definitions. My current motherboard and CPU were part of an HP Media Center PC I bought four years ago. Its been acting buggy for a month or two following a clean-up session in which I removed the CPU, cleaned off the thermal paste and subsequently dropped it onto the pins bending two or three of them. I tried to gingerly manipulate them back into their normal positions with minimal success. After booting up I found that it didn't seem to really affect performance at all, except that now the CPU runs 20-30 degrees hotter. Yea.

Anyway, I have an Nvidia GeForce 8800GT that I'll be using in the new mobo so I'll require a mobo with compatibility for that card (I'm sure I have no idea what attribute of a motherboard has to do with that).

Should I need a new graphics card with my new mobo and CPU? Any suggestions on the best selection for a mobo/CPU combo for that card? I don't want to get another case if I don't have to. Is that an issue? Are there big mobos that maybe will not fit into my current case? As an aside, this PC will mainly be used for gaming and I don't mind paying for the best option but low-cost options are welcome.

Current Motherboard and CPU

Mobo: (couldn't find this specific board in a google search or on the ASUS site)
ASUSTek, Buckeye 1.05 yada yada...

CPU: (Is this outdated? Like, alot?)
1.87 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Is the PC you have now a Prebuilt?
Is the Mobo mATX? (about 9.6" X 9.6")
Do you want Intel or AMD?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a prebuilt PC, yes. HP Pavilion Media Center and all that. I'm using the case that came with it. The only after-market additions would be the PSU (650w) and the GPU (8800).

The mobo is about 12 X 10, actually. Bigger than 9.6 X 9.6, anyway.

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,105 Posts
Run CPUz lets see what CPU number you have and what ram is installed.
CPU tab for the CPU
SPD tab will give us the ram.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Reusing the OEM hp case may mean you need to modify the I/O port area in the rear to fit and sometimes splice wires to get the front panel switch, lights and ports working I often find it far easier to start with a retail case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a nifty little program! I appreciate the link, sir. I will cherish it forever and forever.

So here's the 'CPU', the 'mainboard' and the 'SPD' tab. I was particularly disappointed with the GPU tab as I perused other graphics cards. I thought I had a good one. Oh well. :sigh::grin:

Attachments

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
As wrench97 pointed out, using the OEM case can be more trouble than it is worth. Very nice cases can be had for around $50.
Post a budget and the primary use of your PC and we can suggest a Mobo/CPU for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no real budget, I suppose, just a sense of praticality. If you need a number, than I'd think it shouldn't exceed 600-700 dollars (mobo, cpu, case, etc.).

The primary use of both of my PC's are gaming. I do some 3D modelling and video editing as well, so it must be versatile. This PC, however, will be MINE. :grin: No wife, no kids, just me. I'd like it to be a beast and last a bit longer than a year before needing to be updated/upgraded. I think will need a new graphics card as the one I have is about two years old, though it still eats up games I play on high settings (does that seem excessive to you?).

I have extra basic peripherals like keyboards and such. I suppose getting a new mobo and cpu is more or less like getting a brand new system, isn't it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Due to the method with which I'd pay for these items, I'd need to get them from Tigerdirect.com as opposed to newegg.com.

Would this be a good case.....?
Apevia Black ATX, Mid-Tower

With this motherboard...?
Asus P7P55D Pro, LGA 1156, Core i5, i7

...and this PSU?
Corsair 750W

Additionally, I like this hard drive...
Seagate Barracuda 750GB
It has some bad reviews, but they didn't mention it was bad quality, just slow (for them).

I've been switching back and forth between these pages trying to figure out if these components will work together and I don't see any reason they won't but I am unsavvy with technical hardware jargon, hence the reason for my initial question...:grin:

Also, I've settled on the fact that I won't be upgrading my GPU at this time and I have no clue where on the list of attributes for the cases it would say if there would be enough room for my current card (it's 10.5 in. long I think).

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The Asus Mobo you selected will not work with your CPU. It is for the i5 CPU.
Tiger Direct has a VERY poor selection of 775 Mobo's and there aren't any ATX Mobo's that I would feel comfortable suggesting.

Apevia cases use pretty cheap material.
This CoolerMaster case is VERY roomy, well built and has very good cooling.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3198497&CatId=1509

Seagate Hdd's had some isues so we can't recommend them. WD is a better choice. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4762445&CatId=2459

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,105 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Asus Mobo you selected will not work with your CPU. It is for the i5 CPU.
I was definitely thinking of upgrading my CPU as well. The board I selected is a board that uses i5, right?

If you want seagate the 7200.12 is thew one you want
[sic]
What exactly is the difference between 7200.10 and 7200.12?

This CoolerMaster case is VERY roomy, well built and has very good cooling.
That does look really sweet. I've ammended my list to included it...

My list currently stands at:

Motherboard:
Asus P7P55D Pro LGA 1156 -- 179.99

CPU:
Intel Core i5 750 2.66 Ghz -- (bundled with DDR3 ram for 309.99
Intel Core i5 CPU and Corsair Dominator PC12800 RAM 2X2Gb)

PSU:
CorsairTX750 750w -- 109.99

Case:
CoolerMaster CM690 MT Atx -- 49.99

Grand total is $649.96. Am I forgetting anything? Besides windows, I mean. Which is like a hundred bucks or something right? So 749.96. Approx. lol. :sigh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well thanks guys... Judging from the sheer amount of replies I'm sure that 'thank you' is in short supply. I really do appreciate it.

I like the Western Digital hard drive, though I'll necessarily wind up with a larger capacity (some of the files I edit are quite large. I only have one final question. Tyree mentioned that there weren't any boards he'd feel comfortable mentioning for a possible selection. I wonder:

Which board would you feel comfortable mentioning? Was it a mobo you came across on newegg or another similar site? I'm not bound to tigerdirect at all, I just will probably get it there if I can. I'm looking for the best stuff that'll last me a while without the need for an upgrade or will facilitate that upgrade the best.

Again, thanks for responding and for the footwork you did looking for the components.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Yes I was referring to a Socket 775 Mobo. The only quality boards (Asus & Gigabyte) TD has are mATX.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is there an advantage mATX has over ATX besides allowing for more wiggle room when attaching components to it (more wiggle room with the ATX cuz its bigger)? I think I'd rather have an ATX rather than an mATX (micro ATX) for this reason. Not that I have fat fingers or I'm excessively clumsy, I just think I'd like to fill the case. :laugh:

Besides, wouldn't it be easier to work with connections and components that have room to be assembled or are the mATX's cleverly designed to for ease of use?

The Gigabyte EP45 DQ6 is a 1156 socket board then?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.