Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

I am looking to have linux on my computer.

However, I have some questions.

Is it worth it?
What is the best version of Linux to have?

I also want WinXP on here, so if I do decide to use XP at any time, it wont be a problem...

Will I be able to keep all my documents in one place and acess them from either the Linx or WinXP desktops...

Hhmm... I don't know how clear I am being, but hope you guys can somehow interpret that

Thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Amnesia_180 said:
Hi there.

I am looking to have linux on my computer.

However, I have some questions.

Is it worth it?
What is the best version of Linux to have?

I also want WinXP on here, so if I do decide to use XP at any time, it wont be a problem...

Will I be able to keep all my documents in one place and acess them from either the Linx or WinXP desktops...

Hhmm... I don't know how clear I am being, but hope you guys can somehow interpret that

Thanks again
hey amnesia, I hope I can answer a few of your queries

first of all, it is worth having linux on your system. I highly reccomend it. If ur making the step from windows I'd reccomend mandrake. A lot of people use it when they are starting out in linux. That was my first aswell (that sounded very strange).

there's absolutely no problem with having windows xp on your system at the same time. You just need to take into account a couple of things: 1) install windows first, because it totally anhiallates anything on the MBR, and setting a boot loader like grub up manually is pretty hard. 2) if you want to share documents between OS install windows onto a fat 32 partition, or create a separate fat32 partition. this is because linux can only read from ntfs partitions, and can't write. while windows doesn't even recognise linux's ext2, ext3 or reiserfs partitioning. This way you can have some space which is fully accessible by both your OS.

Anyway, I hope this post has been of some use to you. My email is [email protected] in case you would like to ask anything else.

best of luck,
kin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.