Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a video card that will improve things for older games that I play (I don't need to run Half Life 2 or Quake 4!). Things along the lines of Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, & Half Life 1. I don't want to drop too much into this, as I don't think I'll be having this system for more than another year (it's a cheapo emachine that has not caused me any problems as of yet).

Here's my system specification:

emachines T289
CeleronD Processor 330 (256 KB L2 cache, 2.66GHz, 533 MHz FSB)
Windows XP Home Edition
Intel® 845GV chipset
512 MB DDR (PC2700)
120 GB HD (Maxtor) + 80 GB Second HD
Intel Extreme Graphics 3D 64MB DDR Shared Memory (Integrated)
I believe the Power Supply is 250 W

No AGP :sad: ; the video card will have to go into a PCI slot.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

P

·
0 Posts
I have an awesome idea for you. But first of all as i do to all emachines users I am advising you to change your PSU ASAP if you care about your PC even for a bit and if you are not living near a firestation ( j/k ) Emachines have serious issues with their power supplies.

The videocard i would recommend you is ATI RADEON 9250 128 MB pci-bus card. Have fun, cheers :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, my current PSU is already slow for my system, and I know that I would need something with more wattage if I'm going to add a decent video card.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

P

·
0 Posts
I would not think adding this card would overwelm your system. But Emachine PSU's are known to be bad.

And you are very welcome.

Regards.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ahh emachines, that was my first comuter...
AMD Athalon XP 2600+
512 DDR Ram + 256 Kingston DDR
Radeon 9250 SE 128 --> first upgraded vid card i ever had
250 Watt PSU

Yeah, u can run the 9250 without upgrading the PSU, but if u really wanna expand your compy, u will need a new case, and most new cases come with a new psu, usually 350-450 watts... mine was 420, and now i have the radeon 9550 SE.. works great... :D ahh the olden days

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.