Tech Support Forum banner

Looking for new hard drive, question on PATA

963 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  keymaker
I'm buying a new hard drive for my computer, which has an Asus K8V-SE motherboard and allows me two SATA spots. I already have a Maxtor 120GB hard drive listed as Maxtor 6 Y120M0 SCSI Disk Device in my Device Manager; beyond that I don't know what I have. I'm looking at one called Maxtor 300GB 7200RPG Ultra16 PATA Internal Hard Drive, which has a 133MB/sec transfer speed and is only $149.99. Two questions here:

1) Can my motherboard support PATA? I have NO idea what that is.
2) Am I better off with a 200GB hard drive with 150MB/sec speed and only 8MB cache for the same price?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Hello and welcome to TSF
FlareXyron said:
1) Can my motherboard support PATA? I have NO idea what that is.
Your MB does support PATA which is an IDE device.

FlareXyron said:
2) Am I better off with a 200GB hard drive with 150MB/sec speed and only 8MB cache for the same price?
First thing you need to understand. You will never see 150MB/sec or 133MB/sec. You may never actually see 100MB/sec from a drive. The physical limitations of the drive will limit you to about 60MB/sec maximum substained transfer speed. The interface of the HD is rated for 133 or 150MB/sec. You may see burst speeds up to 90MB/sec because of the cache, but without going to a RAID setup this is all you will see. Dig into the documentations and/or white papers of the drive and you will see what I'm talking about.
Welcome to TSF:

Crazijoe gave you some very excellent accurate info / now it timew to digest that info ??

You have to evaluate some info here and decide for yourself / like the following questions

A) why do you want another drive are you looking for speed or for storage

B) do you want easy install or are you willing to be challenged alittle bit for some added perfromance

The PATA drive (regular IDE) is a good choice for easy install and easy maintenance ~~ pretty much plug them in and forget about them / they are the old work horse of the computer industry / if its primarily adfditional storage and ease of installation your looking for this is the drive for you with an 8meg cache of course !!

If your main reason for purchasing a new drive is performance / then the Sata drive will out speed the IDE drive / they are a touch harder to configure compared to that of a IDE interface / you will need to set up your sata controller and some bios settings -- if that doesnt bug you out then go for the Sata drive

A raid congiuration with Sata drives is the fastest of the three / but raid can be a real butt pain to config and you would like to be in need of a challenge

dotn hesitate to ask more questions / read your mobo manual carefull to see if there is a section dedicated to sata drives and raid set-ups / then you will be assured you have an onboard sata controller and raid controller

regards

joe
See less See more
hi flare,

i second SATA. since your motherboard has more than one port for SATA drives and i recommend you to just migrate to SATA.

they are bit of a challenge to configure but its worth it and its not that bad. if problems come then thats what this forum is for.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.