Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not looking for a gaming rig but instead for a HTPC replacement.
Currently, I have a home-built HTPC connected to a Marantz amplifier (5.1 speakers) which connects to a Bauhn TV. I use a Harmony Hub to control the lot (faking keyboard input for the HTPC). The PC itself currently runs Win10 Home for the OS and MediaPortal1 for the HT software. The PC is connected to the home network via Cat5 and "talks" to a series ofRAID-5 NAS which contain rips of my DVDs/BluRays/CDs, etc... It also talks to a small device on the network which streams free-to-air from an antenna.

This PC is getting old and is rather large thanks to the NVidia card in it (which I believe is natively capable of x265 encoding/decoding).
I now would like to replace the PC for something more akin to a NUC but still using Win10 (perhaps Pro) and MediaPortal1.

What I am hoping for is:
- Small-factory format (I am eyeing NUCs but don't quite know what I am looking at/for).
- Runs Windows 10 + MediaPortal.
- Enough storage for the local DBs (see below).
- Enough graphical grunt to process and output 4K x265/HVEC files. 8K would be nice future-proofing.
- HDMI output.
- Ethernet.
- WiFi / Bluetooth preferable but not mandatory.
- At least 2 USB-A ports (otherwise I'll need to get USB-C adapters for my Harmony receiver).

1. Budget: How much money are you willing to spend on the new build?
    ~AU$2,000

2. Brands: Are there any brands of components you want or don't want?
    Don't really care so long as it works, but I generally use Intel/NVidia in my builds.

3. Multitasking: Will you be multitasking with this computer and if so, how much?
    No, one seat single purpose.

4. Gaming: Will you be gaming and if so, how much and how new are the games?
    No gaming.

5. Calculations: Will you be doing any intense calculations or media encoding?
    No media encoding, but I want it to be able to at least decode 4K x265/HVEC 5.1 sound without breaking a sweat.

6. Overclocking: Do you plan on overclocking and if so, how much?
    Not if I do not have to.

7. Storage: How much storage will you need and what will you be storing?
    Minimum would be 1TB, preferable 2TB.The local PC will be storing the software to run the HTPC as well as a set of databases which have the indexing of the files on the NAS boxen.

8. Operating System: Do you want Windows 7 or 8.1, or Linux compatibility?
    I still want to run my current software stack, so Windows10 (Home or Pro) would be best. Preferably NOT Windows11.

9. Accessories: Do you want a keyboard, mouse, or other items included?
    I have plenty of the above from previous builds.

10. Recycled Components: Will you be reusing any components you already have?
    I have spare NVME drives lying around.

11. Monitor: If you want a monitor, what size do you want and should it be widescreen?
    Will be using my TV screen.

12. Stores: Do you have any online stores that you prefer to purchase from?
    I generally use uMart (umart.com.au) for my parts, but I am happy to go further afield.

13. Location: What country do you live in?
    Brisbane, Australia

Many thanks.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It has a Radeon™ RX Vega M GL Graphics discreet GPU that does 4K just fine, and the Intel® HD Graphics 630 iGPU which also does 4K, so where exactly did you find the FHD best resolution? See https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...s-8m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz/specifications.html for official specs.
That's weird. I could have sworn I saw it mention a 2060, which would be absolutely underpowered for my needs. ??? My bad, obviously wasn't wearing my glasses.
Thanks for the correction - it's back on my list.

Edit: <bangs head on desk> and that would be because I was somehow looking at Intel NUC 11 Enthusiast Mini PC RNUC11PHKI7CAA0 - 11th Gen Core i7 RTX2060 Optane H10 512GB 16GB W10H - Umart.com.au instead and didn't notice. Gumbie mistake, totally my bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts