Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 tablet as an e-reader. I like it because it has a 10" screen, runs Android (which allows me to install several comic/magazine/book reader apps), does colour and B&W without breaking a sweat and has a 1TB external microSD card which contains most of my books/comics/magazines that I am interested in at the moment. The SIM aspect I never really used - if I need internet access outside the house I pair it with my phone.

The S4 came out in 2018 and I bought in December (if memory serves). Tablets have a ~5 years lifespan so mine is due to suffer a glitch sometime in the next 12-24 months. So I am looking for a replacement for it. Yes, I could probably buy another Android tablet, but they tend to be on the heavy side and chew up power. Since I don't really watch videos on the S4 (although I do sometime listen to audio-books), I was wondering if there was an eInk reader out there which:
  • runs Android
  • easily allows apps to be installed (I have my preferred readers).
  • has a 10" colour screen.
  • wi-fi capable.
  • accepts external microSD cards.

Let's face it - ideally I would like an S4 with an eInk screen. Is there such a beastie out there? I tried doing some searches but none of the readers I found (including reviews) even mentioned the presence/absence of mSD cards. And they all seem to have 7.8" screens.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,583 Posts
Google Apps will work on any Android OS device, whether it is made by Amazon, Samsung or any other Manufacturer, because Android OS is made by Google

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... makes the Fire an interesting proposition. Luckily, I don't need to decide right now. :giggle: Unless the S4 suddenly packs it in I can take a few months to look around.

Wonder why all the mSD-capable tablets report such low storage limits. My S4 happily uses a 1TB card, so why is everybody quoting 32GB-256GB as a maximum?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts