Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this exists but I’m in search of an All In One Laser printer/fax/copier/scanner that has an fax auto detect feature. I have one phone line so I’m looking for a device that can distinguish between an incoming fax and a voice call.

I need it to be able to automatically receive faxes if a fax call is coming in and if its a voice call it should just let it go to my answering machine.

I seem to remember having an internal winfax modem that was able to do this quite well however the answering machine function was also handled by my computer, which is something i want to avoid.

If anyone has any suggestions on any Multifunction printer device that is able to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In advance

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Most All-In-One machines should be able to auto detect a fax call without issue. I know the HP units do and I recommend HP for most printer requirements. Most HP's also allow you to press 123 on the phone keypad to start receiving the FAX if you manually pick up the phone and the fax does not pick up right away.

Also keep in mind, for best performance, you need to loop your answering machine through the fax machine phone connection to allow the fax machine to drop the answering machine when a fax comes in. Also the answering machine needs to answer at least 1 ring before the fax is configured to auto answer.

JamesO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help much appreciated

Any reason why you suggest a HP. I was considering the Hewlett Packard LaserJet 3015 All-In-One Printer but ive heard there are some issues with the software. I was also looking at the Brother Lineup of All In one Printers as they seem to look like solid machines, any thoughts on this or experience with the software.

Im purchasing this for my parents so the software bundled with it is a really important factor, the more user friendly the better.

Again Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
HP typically make solid machines. I have a HP4P laser for almost 13 years now without any issues. I used to work somewhere where we ran the same printer for 7x24 in an operations center with a heavy load and only had to replace the fuser after 7 VERY hard and busy years.

Also have a OfficeJet 3200 All-In-One for over 4 years, no issue.

In total I have 5 HP printers and 1 Canon photo printer.

HP also has good support and you can get supplies for them.

As for the software, it can been an issue at times, however, it seems the newer machines have better software. The problems tend to be usually on set up. Either it loads correctly or it does not. Once the software is loaded, usually no issues.

This is probably true for most All-In-One units as they are heavy on the software.

JamesO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.