Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong place. I wasn't sure where to put this.

I am looking for a covert program that will snap pics with my web cam at specified intervals so I can see what is happening in my computer room while I am not around. I have birds in the same room and my son uses my computer. I want to know how much he may be abusing the birds because of the noise they make or if he is just covering them up shortly after we leave to make them be quiet, etc. I have that Timershot Powertoy for Windows, but it leaves an icon in the tray. The last time I left it running, my son saw it running within about 5 minutes and shut it down. So, I want something that runs in the background and is free preferably.

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
I'm not an expert with webcams etc so can't really help you there. However, I'm just wondering if you're maybe taking the wrong approach here. Obviously I have no idea about your relationship with your son, but it seems to me that perhaps you need to sit down and talk. While he may be guilty (of something), you are proposing to spy on him. To me that does not bode well for your relationship.

Hope that doesn't sound like I'm preaching - I just wanted to let you know my thoughts.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
I hate to say it, but 'spying' is a necessary part of being a parent..kids will lie, end of discussion...of course there is the issue of having blown your 'cover' when you use the information you've gained...

after the first time I caught my daughter going to questionable websites, it never happened again...probably simply because she knew she was being observed...and at some point I had to resort to 'other' tactics to keep up on her activities in life...as noted, kids lie...if you want the truth (and I really feel parents need the truth to make proper decisions) then you many times have to resort to distastful tactics...

just the 2¢ rambling from the father of a 22 year old...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here are my two cents - if you fear your son is actually abusing the birds, after you catch him at it, have a talk okay that's great, but - children who abuse animals sometimes turn into children who kill animals and then turn into sociopathic adults. The talk may straighten him out or he may just hurt animals outside when not supervised. If you catch him at it, see a psychologist or psychiatrist. Seriously.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Well "spy" may sound like a disingenuous word, but its useful and causes no harm if done appropriately. Actually its beneficial for catching any problem that may travel unnoticed for too long otherwise. I've had to resort to such practices with a nephew of mine who was actually a hacker, after much advice and words were not having any effect: addiction.

Your first resort IMHO should be to ask him and see his response after making him comfortable so that he's not frightened of telling you. If that doesn't settle your suspicions you can then checkup on him to see what he really gets up to but only in moderation I would say, as paranoia is no stranger to the suspicious of us. :grin:

I think thats vigilant enough.

Maybe something like I can see you webcam will help. Other software that may be useful is ValisCam, Crazy Pixels and many more HERE. I use Web Monitor on my office PC's and it does a very good job.

·
Banned
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fact is that he lies about everything he does.
The abuse of the birds is more of using a water bottle we have and squirting them with it excessively when they get noisy. We do use it sparingly when they get way too carried away with the noise on occasion. It is just that he has no understanding of moderation in the use of such things. He has been caught at these things before. Talking to him doesn't help. I also want to make sure he isn't doing anything else that would be worse than the water either. He will be turning 18 soon and if he continues to go against the house rules he is going to end up living somewhere else. He has his issues mentally and I have spent the last 4 plus years trying to help him get straightened out. He just doesn't want help. So, all I can do is try to keep my home safe for my pets and my wife.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.