Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25,231 Posts

· Registered
25,231 Posts
No disrespect to poster above / but 85% of problem drive issues in here are maxtors / maybe that why they have only one year warranty ??????

Western Digital Raptor is a butt kicking drive ???? but a touch pricey / you get what you pay for !! I am a Seagate man myself :)

regards

joe

· Registered
25,231 Posts
There was a poster in here about two maybe three months ago that gave us some statistics from a large commercial computer builder (he would not name the builder for fear he would lose his job/ but he stated the statistics of dead drive returns and volume of sales or installs and Western Digital was by FAR the least problematic in the IDE department with Seagate a close second / In the SCSI world of course Seagate was the winner of least defects and RMA returns

Maxtor was the worst by far / none of the others not even the Hitachi death star (desk star) was close to being as problematic. As far as volume goes / yeah / look at the prices / it doesnt take long to figure who is peddling the Junk / however my personal opinion is WD has let some relaibility slip while trying to close the selling price gap / Seagate has taken a different approach / seagate is not getting involved in the cheapest drive race they are taking the high road and giving the 5-year warranty for a more expensive drive ????

I know the Raptor is one hellva good drive though !!

now its all up to you to deceide

regards

joe

· Registered
25,231 Posts
Marko:

Hard drives are one of the easier tasks to tackle within the computer arena / before you start your actual install ask for some installtion advice from within this forum and we can walk you thru it so to speak

check ebay for hard drives / there are alot of canadian vendors in there too !!

you should be looking for a 7200 rpm, drive
ATA 100 or ATA 133 capable
8 meg cache
IDE interface / not SATA (serial ATA)

regards

joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.