Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm really getting into the harder parts of my courses and I really want to get a Laptop. It would be so much more convenient. I need a little advice in what to look for, as I'm not sure what to get. I was going to get used, but my friend said they are always something wrong. I seen some new ones for about $1300.00 Canadian, but noticed they go as high as $3000.00. Would it be bad to get a cheaper model? Or is the expensive ones unnecessary? I don't have that much money, I can only afford about $1800.00 from my loan. Thanks.. :)

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,284 Posts
Be wary of the Toshiba laptops! MaximumPC's Watchdog has an article this month about one series that overheats and locks up!
I know of a place you can get a good deal on one but I'll have to post the link as soon as I can find it...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I sold a Toshiba to a girl going to SAIT this year. It was about $2400... but you can get them cheaper than that

I do believe that Dell do special deals for students... if so you might wanna check that out too.

However (here it comes...) Toshiba do make very good laptops... Dell's are... well... you get what you pay for

:winkgrin:

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Here is a very nice one for $1,799.00 its a
TOSHIBA SATELLITE 1905-S301 its on there website

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,284 Posts
Midnight Tech said:
I know of a place you can get a good deal on one but I'll have to post the link as soon as I can find it...
... And Drupy found it!!

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
Midnight I think I told you about it.:D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Here's a good one:

Hey Whats up,

Since you also live in Canada, than probably have Future Shop in your area, and they have the following laptop for a very good price.

Cicero NB2700T Celeron 1.3GHz Notebook

PRICE: $1,599.97 Canadian

Specs:

Cache 128K L2 Cache
CPU Speed 1.3 GHz
CPU Type Intel Celeron Processor
Disk Drive 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy
Fax/Modem 56K v.90 Fax/Data Modem
Hard Drive 20.0GB
I/O Ports Parallel, PS/2, 2 USB, IEEE1394
Included In Box Universal AC Adapter, Security Lock
Network Card 10/100 Ethernet
Optical Drives 8x DVD-ROM Drive
Other Software Drivers
PC Card Slots 1 Type II Card Slot
Pointing Device Touchpad
Preloaded Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Product Dimensions 30.7 x 25.1 x 3.7 cm
Product Weight 3 kg
RAM (Preloaded / Maximum) 256MB PC133 SDRAM (exp to 512 MB)
Screen Size 14.1" Viewable
Screen Type XGA TFT Display
Speakers 2 Built-In Speakers
System Bus 100MHz
Video Type 16MB Integrated
Warranty 1 Year

lates

DaTruMasta

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
ps.

Peach: The reason this laptop is a good one is because it is not Compaq, or Hp, etc..........(Its not a brand name)......

Cicero is a company that creates custom clone computers for computer business stores.

Therefore, it can be EASILY upgraded in the future, and it is also very friendly in many different ways.

I personally have a Cicero Desktop PC, and haven't had any problems with it so far:D

DaTruMasta

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Depending on the type of applications you want to use, (graphic intensive, programming etc.) I'd stay away from the celeron...but again, it depends

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wouldn't touch Cicreo with a 20 foot pole.

But thats just my oppinion

DaTruMasta - u don't work for Future SHop by any chance do ya??

:winking:

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Heathen, to be totaly honest with you, Future shop would be the worst place to be anything with wires and is considered electronic...Everything there is about 25% overpriced...the only good thing about them is their 1-2 year warranties..but then again..You have to pay for those too

·
Registered
403 Posts
Heathen: No, I don't work at Future Shop -- Thats just were I baught my computer!

I am surprised you guys don't like it, its true that they are a bit expensive, but All you have to do, is ask to speak to the manager of the Department, and bargain to try to bring the price down!

I did that, and we got a pretty sweat deal, including 24/7 support!

And I am really happy with Cicero, No problems at all!

Thats why I would recommend it!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just saying.... has anyone ever heard of Proteva?

Thats Staple's own brand... and I have the contract to fix em.... what a GREAT contract... they're so sh!t I'm always on calls

:D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Never Heard Of It!

Staples as in Business Depot Staples? :D

You know what's actually better than Future Shop?

Just building your own computer.

Thats why futureshop is so expensive, they charge for the labour that was put into the building of the computer.

But I got a good price, including a Lexmark 3-in-one printer!!!!!!!

I don't know, you wouldn't believe the price!

But, yet again, some people don like future shop.

I used to hate it.

Anyways, I don't think Peach would want to build her own comp, so thats why I recomended Cicero......

They have 24 hour support! Great lookin computers, Great Prices, And reliable!

Thats Just my opinion!

(BTW Its not like I haven't tried any others for personal use, I've used Compaq, HP, NEC, Toshiba, Sony, and other brands) and so far, Cicero is at the top of my list :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi guys! LOL, no I can't build myself a computer, are you crazy!!
Well I went to Future Shop and it's too expensive, plus they are rude, this one guy today made me feel like a dope. I was also looking in the Dell flyer, but they seem too expensive also. :(

I will look around more and try to find some local computer shops.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.