Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of those ‘check it out first’ kind of questions.

The new system, [P5P800, 3.0 Prescott, 2 gig], has been up and running flawlessly for 3 months give or take. So I figure it’s time to send the old system to a good home on down the road… With the one exception; the 80 gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 IDE which is only a year or so old and has a few files on it I’d like to hang on to.

The configuration on the new system is:

Sata 1 = WDC WD800JD-22JNA0 (80.02 GB)
Primary IDE = vacant
Secondary IDE = CDRW
Floppy = floppy

The plan is to bolt in the Seagate, plug it into the Primary IDE and… ‘bada’ bing, bada’ boom’…..

Is there anything I should know before I break out the wrenches? Jumper settings?, [it’s currently jumpered as the ‘master’], bios settings?… anything at all?

Many thanks for any comments.

Chip in Seattle

· Registered
1,188 Posts
@ ChipD
Jumpered as 'master', the drive will fit nicely into your system at primary-master. If the drive is healthy, you should be fine. Pretty much plug-and-go. Your BIOS should be at default to recognize the new HDD, and windows will pop in the correct drivers(crosses fingers and knocks on wood..hope I didn't jinx you) and you're good to go.
You may want to check your boot order, and make sure the primary-master stays out of the order. Sometimes, being pri-mas, your BIOS may want to put that into the boot order...just a thought

· retired
1,982 Posts
Always glad to see when people are recycling the old computers, there's plenty of alternatives so no reason any computer should be landfill.

Just set your BIOS primary ide to auto detect. Leave boot sequence on the RAID/SATA. Use a 80 conductor cable, end connector-black.

If it's not seen by the new system right away then use Disk Management.
(right click My Computer / Manage / right click Disk Management /Rescan)

Also check Device Manager IDE ATA Controllers / Primary IDE Channel / Advanced Settings(tab) / Transfer Mode: "DMA if Avaiable"

Keep in mind that XP doesn't format FAT32 partitions over 32Gig, it can mount larger FAT32-just doesn't make them.

· Registered
25,231 Posts
Fellas :

dont want to muddy the water on this one but I want to learn just as much as the next dude !!

wouldnt a potentially less problematic solution be to temporarily remove the secondary cable from the cd-rom drive and connect it to his temporary drive (it would then be a secondary master) so he can rescue his files ????? then by having the added drive as secondary master they will be no chances of the IDE auto detect trying to bump it up in priority to a boot drive or confuse the boot order ????

if I understand the poster above he is not going to leave the extra drive in that system / he just wants to be able to copy some of the files off that drive over to the sata drive / then remove it again and replace it into the "one going down the road" LOL

I am anxious to hear your thoughts on this one / dont know why I got such a diff aproach ????? did I show up to play ball on the wrong day on this one ??????

be gentle fellas ~~ i'm old LOL

regards

joe

· retired
1,982 Posts
the 80 gig Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 IDE which is only a year or so old and has a few files on it I’d like to hang on to.
I think it's a keeper Joe. As long as bios is setup before going into windows, I doubt there will be any issues. Always good idea to ask if not sure though. :handball:

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow!! Thanks for the thoughtful responses to a pretty elementary question! You folks make my day!!

So just to clarify; the intention is to keep the 80gig IDE Seagate in the new machine, [XP Pro], maybe rig it up as some kind of backup. It was the primary drive running without issues in the old machine with Win2K Pro. It's formatted NTFS [sp?] not Fat32. I had a spare 40gig drive that I installed in the old machine and a PC Tech friend at the local software company is going to wipe it clean and load it up from scratch with a current [and legal!] OS at N/C, [Billy does have his good side!]. Then it goes to it's new home, all set up and nice. It'll make a solid little surfer for somebody.

Thanks again for all the responses. Film at 11.

Best,
Chip in Seattle

· Registered
25,231 Posts
Ahhh Thanx for the clarification chip & got your suggestions Stu:

Under these circumstances then ~~ of course~~ install the drive as a primary master ~~ will make a decent back-up drive for data storage

regards

joe

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Piece o’ Cake!

If course I got the bios settings wrong on the first try:

Went to the Bios ‘Boot’ tab, chose ‘Boot Device Priority’, where you change the order, ie CD 1st, HDD 2nd, Floppy 3rd.

Looked fine so I lit it up… and it tried to boot the Primary IDE not SATA 1. [Without success I might add.]

Back to the ‘Boot’ tab;

Right below ‘Boot Device Priority’ is one called ‘Hard Drives’ where it lets you specify which HDD is ‘1st’ and which one is ‘2nd’. [It was seeing them both no problem.]

Reversed them, making the SATA ‘1st’ and the IDE ‘2nd’ and away she went. Came up just like it’d always been there.

So thanks again to ‘Please’, ‘Linderman’, and the ‘Stu-Guru’. All is well.

Best,
Chip in Seattle

· Registered
18,185 Posts
A friend of mine recently installed an IDE 200GB drive into his system. Prior to that he had a SATA boot drive, 2 opticals, and a standard floppy. Installing and formatting it was a breeze and he's enjoying being able to cram it with downloaded anime fansubs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.