Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Can someone please help. I have a dell Optiplex 360 running XP professional with SP3. It is taking any where from 5 to 10 minutes to boot and when I try to run a program it takes just as long to get it running. I have gotten the blue screen of death 3 or 4 times in the last few months. I was sent to this forum from the security forum as the computer is free from viruses and malware. FYI I do have the OS disks and drivers that came the the computer. All my information is also backed up on external drives.
Any help with this issue is appreciated.

J

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Hello! Go to command prompt Start>Run type in CMD hit enter. Type in

CHKDSK /R
type in Y for yes then reboot. This will take time be patient.

Download Memtest86+ and Imgburn. Memtest86+ will come in an ISO burn the ISO using Imgburn (How to burn an ISO to a cd) burn at lowest speed possible. Pull all RAM sticks except 1. With the newly burned cd boot with it making sure your cd-rom is in the boot sequence or press the option to bring up a bot menu then select your cd-rom drive. Perform at least 7 passes Red indicates RAM errors (Replace). Follow the steps with each RAM stick at a time.

·
Premium Member
41,912 Posts
Your dump file points to either Bad RAM or HDD degradation. Follow the Jack's suggestion in Post #2. Download the ISO image for Memtest in that link or in my signature, and burn the image with IMGBurn also in my signature. Take all but ONE stick of RAM out and boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests on each stick individually. Any RED that stick needs to be replaced. If no errors, then download the ISO image for Seatools or Drive Fitness in my signature and burn the image with IMGBurn boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and Advanced tests.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran the CHKDSK /R, when I went to check on it a few hours later, there was nothing on the screen but my normal desktop view. Would any logs have been generated??. I will begin the RAM checks shortly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ran it in clean boot state, but still was slow to boot and the programs that I ran such as office documents and my internet browser, etc still took a while to load.

·
Premium Member
41,912 Posts
Click on the link in my signature for PC Running Slow? and try those things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.