Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a problem I can't get figure out. My brother has a gateway 300 series, 1.8 gig in a nina case. Hard drive locked up and when replaced with a brand new drive and system restore disk, the boot time drags out. The gateway splash screen is up for 2.5 minutes, the to blank black screen with command prompt blinking for 1.5 minutes then it loads windows and everything works fine absoultly no problem. We had another nina system bought at rummage sale for parts. Put in new motherboard, memory, basically everything but power supply and still them same. Could a faulty power supply cause this. Nina has been discontinued and no power supply's around. I am at a loss on this any idea's?
:4-dontkno

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
it sounds to me as if the windows bootloader is not in control of things for a while (thats why the command prompt box) then after a whole lot of code being executed it finally gets into windows for real

my "guess" would be perform a clean install of windows with a regualr windows disk instead of a recovery disk ?

let us know how you want to proceed

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, last night after I posted I updated the bios and loaded my oem xp pro on the drive. I still get the same result. Is their any way to repair the bootloader.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
after a fresh install of windows and it wont go any faster? time to go to your hard drive manufacturers website and download their free diagnostic software utility and check the drive's integrity with the bootable diagnostic CD

let us know how that goes / make sure to run the extended or "full" test not just the short / quickie tests

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yesterday after my last reply I wiped out drive with format /u command. I used the cd that came with the WD drive to set it up for install. Re installed with the system restore disk. Still splash screen and prompt screen. After reading reply I ran every dianostic on the cd I could run all passed. I know the splash and prompt screen is wrong but after it boots it works fine. I have left it on with no problems. In the bios the only reference to boot is "intel quick boot" on or off it doesnt cure the problem.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
in the last 6 -8 months I have replaced numerous motherboards in OEM machines for similar problems as yours as well as unstability, I am not sure whether people are using hardware which has been upgraded or windows system updates that are making them crawl

but I have learned to cut to the chase and replace the motherboards on these type of OEM desktops with retail versions of asus or gigabyte motherboards from the mwave.com / click on refurbished section

its the best cost vs performance fix going / for $35.00 to $75.00 you can get a motherboard which will run circles around the oem versions most every time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Linderman I thank you for all your help. I will take the advice and pick up a replacement MB. I recently found mwave and have purchased a couple items from them. We will call this thread completed but unsolved. i will give system back to my brother order a board and wait for the inevitable.

Thanks again
Cable Man

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I have had awesome luck with mwave / refurbished boards so far they have all come with retail box and all the goodies

only had one yanker and they replaced that one no questions asked

for the most part motherboards either work 100% correctly or they dont >>>> 15 days warranty is plenty of time to verify a working board

cant beat the prices!! avoid the lost cost 3rd and 4th tier board makers though, not worth the headache

stick to asus gigabyte or maybe intel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.