Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My computer was working just fine until recently, I moved the computer to another location and it started giving me a long beep error code. Started testing RAM, Video and PSU and found out that the computer would start fine with just 1 stick of RAM. Ran a memory test for each RAM stick and they all passed with flying colors. Also, tried all the RAM sticks on a different computer and they all worked fine. As for the PSU and Video, I used different and working parts and still had the same problem. Thought it was a mobo problem and decided to buy a new one and for my surprise it did work with all the RAM sticks... once, I turned off the computer and moved it to my room and it gave me the same long beep.

My computer specs are:
P5N-E-SLI mobo
Intel Core2 E6600
GeForce 8600 GTS DDR3 512Mb
4x 1Gb Corsair DDR2 667MHz
Hitachi 500Gbs 16Mb Cache

Please assist, I ran out of ideas on how to fix this problem :4-dontkno

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I have the P5N32-E sli plus and was getting the same long beep but mine was only when it decided to. I updated the bios the other day as the beep was getting more frequent and when I read the bios update it mentioned stuff about enhanced memory compatibility, anyway to cut a long story short i have not had any problems since updating the bios.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check that the RAM is seated properly in the slots... but I guess you've probably checked. I think MOST motherboards tend to have problems booting with 4 sticks of RAM. Try booting with two sticks, remember, the two sticks must be in the same colored slots. If it boots with the two, remove them and try the other two.

EDIT: You can also go with the above suggestion and update the BIOS as well, and maybe it will boot with four sticks. Although I have read of many problems caused by four sticks of memory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked with just 2 sticks and no progress (in different sets just to be sure). What is really weird about this issue is that I never had this problem before with the 4 sticks until I upgraded HD (also changed OS to Vista) and moved the computer to another case. Thing is that I'm 100% sure that the HD is not causing this and as for the case... I would be really surprised if THAT is causing this problem. Anyways, I'll check for a BIOS update and pray.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I just updated the BIOS that blackduck30 mentioned and it was successfully updated. But the problem is still there (just boots with 1 stick of RAM). I'm already losing hope here, any other suggestion?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently the error was that somehow the mobo was doing ground with part of the chassis and it now that its "resolved" the computer started up just fine. blackduck30 and courage659 thanks for the support, I'll give it a week and we'll see if everything went well, if not... well... I'll be paying you guys another visit for more suggestions :wave:

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Thats great to hear that it was something simple, keep us posted on how it goes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.