Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I have a computer that is being fussy. This is one of many computers on a home network, all running XP pro. When I try to access the computer over the network I get the following:
-----
\\Cl076a is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.
-----

I searched this and pretty much every site I ran across said to do this:
go into the group policy editor
Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment > Access this computer from the network

I did this and that entry was blank. I added "Everyone," and the entries my other computers showed for that area. While this fixed some issues with the computer, I can still not access it across the network, it gives the same error. Any other thoughts of how to solve this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I think that this has something to do with the remote access policy.

Open Local Security policy from the Administrative Tools folder.

Look under machine policy for a setting "Network Access" review all of these settings and make the appropriate changes to allow access. Post back if you have a questionable setting.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing the shared files:

Download the following and install it

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544

after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I looked through the local sec policy, and all the stuff looked the same as the others computers on the network. I also used that Win2k3 toolkit and followed those steps, it said the commands were successful. Now I get the error of:
---
\\Cl076a is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.
---

File sharing is enabled in the network properties and there are folders being shared. If there is anything you could think of for me to check or anything to help diagnose the problem, just let me know.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Do you have an account on the "server" with the same name/password as is used to logon to the "client"?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Problem

This message is for bcraig15. I have the exact same problem and have been following this thread. I too have done the same things as you and it still does not work. If you ever get it resolved in some other way than on this forum, will you please post on this thread so I can know? I will do the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
same, the same

Me too, hope you get more help to solve your network problem. Unfortunately we are in the same boat, many peeps get not further after that permission message.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Guys, if you have issues, start your own thread, don't hijack another person's thread to discuss your issue. We need to deal with them one at a time.

bcraig15, I think now is the time to check for firewalls in the way, that's normally where the "access is denied" comes from.

Can you PING each way by IP address, then by name?

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
fredo55, in "checking", you're presenting your own issue and inviting discussion that disrupts trying to solve this issue. If you really want to see how this issue gets resolved, please just monitor the thread and see. Anything that happens will be posted to the thread.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey all, sorry for lack of updates, I've had a busy week with New Years and catching up from New Years... Anyway, I managed to fix the computer, unfortunatly it won't be very helpful to anyone else. Because there were a couple other strange issues with that computer, and everything but the OS was on other drives (it is a makeshift server) I decided it would probably be less time consuming to reformat than trying to solve all these little issues. Thanks for all the help and good luck to those with the same issue!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.