Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, got quite an issue here and it's very unique, or at least I think so anyways. I have a Logitech 350 Internet Keyboard (see link below) and when I use the "custom" buttons such as the Music, Email, Home, Calculator, Play/Pause, Volume Down, Volume Up, Mute buttons, the result is as such. For starters, when I press a button, for example, the Calculator button, the Calculator doesn't launch, which, I could probably fix with some sort of key mapping application. Anyways though, the real issue is this. When I press any of these keys, the system will almost lock up. Processes will still run as normal, and I can move my mouse of course, but virtually any text input is ignored, this is because every window that opens up loses focus immediately. For example, after pressing the Calculator button, I can hit Ctrl + Alt + Delete and i'll get the Task Manager, I can hit Windows + R and I'll get the Run Command dialog box, but if course my text is ignored because each window loses focus immediately. Along side all of this, mouse clicks are also virtually ignored, perhaps due to the window losing focus at the same time? I can't even click on a File menu, I get no result.

Keyboard Link:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/partners/details/GB/EN,CRID=1969,parentCRID=925,SCRID=925,CONTENTID=12324

Anyways, I've obviously searched Logitechs website, not sure if they have forums, but I will check and post there as well, there aren't any drivers of course, with the support being (from what I understand) built right into the Operating System, which BTW is Windows XP Pro, SP2, all updates applied. I couldn't find anyone else with the same issue after scouring the internet for days... So I'm totally lost here. Really not sure what to try.

Any suggestions would be great, perhaps I just have to reinstall the OS but I wouldn't like to do that if it could be avoided.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

The link above explains the keyboard as a PS/2 keyboard, the version I have is USB *sigh* ...I wish it was PS/2, but anyways...

Another thing I should add is I've plugged the same keyboard into my other machine, which is running Win XP Pro x64 SP1, the keyboard functions worked fine.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey OldGrayGary, I'm not totally into astronomy but I enjoy gazing... :p

Anyways, I actually had already tried the setpoint software, it notices I have my Logitech mouse and lets me customize it slightly (nothing that I can't change with the OS) ...but there's nothing in there that mentions anything about my keyboard, I'm assuming it should... If someone could verify that, that would be great.

Thanks for the reply OldGrayGary, any moooore ideas? :)

·
3,258 Posts
Hi again

I really like Logitech hardware, I have to admit I've never been keen on having to use their software (which is why my Logitechs are mostly plain-Jane). The crazy part about that SetPoint software in the link I gave is that it is from the drivers page for the USB version of the Internet 350 keyboard that you have: so, theoretically, it should help get the darn thing to work. [Then again, ten-dimensional string theory sounded good for a while, too].

How about one last look at the SetPoint Affair: try pulling up the ReadMe for that, and see if a mention for keyboard settings (or setup) is anywhere in there. If you installed that version of SetPoint, it should have dropped the ReadMe in C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint, at least according to the tiny little note on the downloads page for that driver.

The device reports it's OK in Device Manager too, right? And all the other devices look OK as well?

Check in your Bios Setup screens, too: and Enable the Legacy USB settings. Just in case it matters.

If the keyboard had ever completely behaved itself in the past - I'd say Hey, let's do a System Restore, using a restore point from that time period. But it doesn't sound like it's ever behaved on this system. [If it has, you do have the restore option (best from Safe Mode, logged on as Administrator].

The other last-ditch effort I use to try to get drivers and programs to behave, is a Registry Cleaner. Buggy installs/uninstalls can leave snarls behind for XP to trip on. There are many good Registry cleaners, a good-free-small one is CCleaner. I generally try to uninstall the current troublemaker, run the cleaner (a few times), then test the device - first with generic builtin Windows drivers, and if they don't work, try installing the proprietary drivers one more time.
Try CCleaner to clean up
1) You can download CCleaner here --- http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144_4-10315544.html
2) Run the "Cleaner" functions to clean up temp files & other accumulating unnecessary files. Then run the "Issues" functions to clear up problems in the Registry. Run the "Issues" functions until CCleaner reports "no issues found"

Let's start with seeing if XP Pro has caught anything amiss (since the system has coughed a few times with the keyboard as a suspect - check for fingerprints):
To Explore EventViewer:
1) Click on Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools/EventViewer.
2) Several logs are listed: simply select a log, and events will appear in a list in the window-pane to the right.
3) To view the details of an event, right-click the event, and select “Properties”.

You mention that you're up-to-date with patches, but let's make sure the files themselves are OK - Don't worry, WFP/SFC (Windows File Protection/"System File Checker") should see the SP2 & Updated files and use them - it should only ask for your CD if it can't find the updated files or they are corrupted.
Run Windows File Protection:
1) Boot your computer into Safe Mode (start tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up, and select "Safe Mode" from the Boot Menu).
2) Logon as "Administrator".
3) Click on the Start button, and then on Run --- in the box, type "sfc /scannow" [type that command without the quotes]. You may need your Windows XP installation CD - provide it if prompted (or use the "Browse" button and navigate to the folder on your hard drive that stores the XP installation files (".cab" files) - your vendor's website or system documentation has this location information. Windows File Protection (aka System File Checker) will look at your system files & offer to replace those that it finds missing or damaged. The program runs in the background, & puts entries in EventViewer indicating when it starts, when it makes any changes, and when it stops.

It's possible those little hotkeys need some background service running to keep them happy:
Check on your XP Services:
Here's a well-known guide ---http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
[P.S. -- if you've used msconfig to stop certain processes/services from running at startup, what are they?]

Something wicked might have this way come around: make sure it's not the worst possibility = a keylogger, or other malware.
Security Precautions:
1) Run your local antivirus/antispyware scans.
2) Double-check for anything they missed with an online scan from HouseCall --- http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ --- Panda --- http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm --- or the scanner of your choice.
3) Two good anti-rootkit scanners are Rootkit Revealer --- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/RootkitRevealer.mspx --- and Blacklight --- http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/try_blacklight.html --- (also note that the online Panda scan does some rootkit scanning, too --- follow the instructions for the specialized rootkit scanners carefully, to avoid false positives)
4) Check on your startup program with AutoRuns --- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Autoruns.mspx 5) Check on your running processes with Process Explorer --- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx --- and Process Monitor --- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/processmonitor.mspx

If you find evidence of a serious infection, try the 5-Step Security Checklist over in the Security forums --- http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...lease-read-before-posting-hijackthis-log.html

This is a long list (apologies if some of it is repetitive - I copy-and-paste a lot from my saved notes) - but I'm hoping one of the first steps - EventViewer - will yield a good clue right off.

You see? Never ask an English Literature major if they've got any more ideas - we end up writing a novel!
. . . Gary

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
It's CSI Miami

Hi, OriOnz,

I am not expert in this stuff as Gary is.....but I have had some serious issues with new Logitech KB, posted in several forums here.....and I may be able to contribute something.

That your KB functions in another system running same OS....means this probably requires Gary-level assistance, BUT HOW COME you don't have SP2 on that 64 system? And....do U have it on the system U R addressing?

Coluld this B an issue given below, I wonder?

Having said/asked that....

1) Fact is...I learned to my horror, new Logitech KBs have, in accompanying software, SNOOPS AND KEYLOGGER!:upset: Mine deluged My Hijack This with a gazillion entires.....terrified me.

I posted the HJT log in that forum, as Gary suggested U do as well.... received expert feedback. But then, had good instinct to download fabulous freeware, SNOOPFREE....

http://www.snoopfree.com/

I came upon it right there in Glas's signature. It.....nails any keyloggers present. And guess what? A major evil one is RIGHT IN THE LOGITECH SOFTWARE! U betcha. Don't get why Gary alludes to these as ultimate evils....as per trojans and viruses....I didn't think they could spread or hide.....but a bad one is in the software & no antimalware, including Housecall picked it up. U will see and be shocked and then relieved that it is SnoopFree drops a dime on it…along with all others and then precludes it/them.

2) Now, is this a new KB, and did U get it along with a Logitech mouse? If so, did U get two separate software disks?

I got one software disk with my KB, but it does include mouse options should someone have a Logitech mouse which I don't. And U BET.....the setpoint interface is naturally supposed to include a tab for your KB settings!:pray:
I am attaching a screenie of mine.

3) To use your KB via PS/2 port....all U need is cheap little adapter: USB>PS/2....sol You totally have that option!:grin:

4) When you first hooked up the KB, did windows find it and install it with no error messages? If so, except for your special function keys, did it function normally at that, pre setpoint point?? If so, did U then load the Logitech software? If so, was it THEN THAT THE ALIENS ARRIVED?:rolleyes:

I think sharing these specifics might help the experts....and if yes to all of the above....then I would think the issue is in the KB/software, not your OS.

Forget, just the thought of your messing with your OS....given this is a KEYBOARD....not like a BOSE $400 speaker system.....makes my tummy hurt. Many savvy humans on this site....so don't assume U have to get the winch or the nukes re your OS just yet out of understandable frustration. I think.

I will follow this thread with CSI Miami-like interest. Gary will Play the David Caruso role….but with waaaaay less arrogance and pseudocool….forget, Gary would have known betta than to have bailed on NYPD Blue!:laugh:

Jill

Edit: Just came upon this via your Logitech link:
Driver-free hot key support includes "Play/Pause," "Calculator," "Email," "Internet," "Volume Down," "Volume Up," and "Mute" keys

My KB has same function keys and they all work as they should; seems 2 me that that your setpoint interface is missing a KB tab as per my screenie.....is a mystery the CSI team might focus on.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow thanks guys, I haven't been around much lately but later on tonight I'll probably try some of the things Gary has posted... Anyways, I'll keep you up to date! Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oookay so I've just spent a bunch of time checking into some of the things that Gary and Jill have mentioned. Again, thanks to both of you for your replies :).

Let's start from the top. I ran CCleaner, took a few runs through to clean everything out but it cleaned up about 100 different things (I didn't read what exactly, I used the "Fix All" option...Perhaps I shouldn't have...) ...What I noticed was, after a restart, was that the keys worked, and it didn't lock up, and I was so excited...but then, after playing with the volume controls too much, it hung up again =/ ...Okay, on to what Gary had mentioned next.

I checked through EventViewer, quite thoroughly, and nothing was mentioned that had anything to do with the the system/keyboard/drivers...nothing. I learned some neat things while I was looking around in there, though. Heh.

Next I tried running sfc. While in safe mode it wouldn't let me run it, it was complaining about the RPC server not being active, and when I tried starting it, it of course wouldn't let me due to being in safe mode. I then proceeded to boot normally and start the RPC service, which started fine, and ran "sfc /scannow" ...Although I don't have my Install Disc here (I've given this computer to my girl friend)...I had, however, copied the contents of the disc to the hard-drive, but it unfortunately won't let me select it. There is no "browse" option that I was expecting... I'll have to grab that disc sometime and try going through that process again.

Services are a big thing for me, or at least I thought, I like to disable some minor ones, like RPC for starters, Remote Registry, Terminal Services, etc... I don't think that would have affected the issue I'm currently having. It's funny you should mention msconfig though, I had almost forgotten that when I built this thing up a bit for my girl friend, I had put an Airlink Wireless Card (PCI) in it and was having big issues after installing the software for it. I had removed some of its startup entries for it to fix the issue, (btw, the issue was exactly what I'm experiencing, except as soon as I would login) there was only one startup entry if I recall correctly, and they were directly pointed towards the airlink folder I had in Program Files... I had uninstalled the software which removed the startup entry all together, and I found out a way just to install the driver for it, and having to use the windows wireless management features. It was the management software that was hanging up the machine earlier. This is no loner present, though.

Also, as I am reading through Gary's last post, I had gone through the BIOS, and as i suspected, Legacy USB was enabled.

Okay, as far as antivirus and security precautions go, I'm pretty keen about them and constantly watch for strange activity, I'm going to go through some scans here but I'm sure they'll show up negative. I'll update you on that later. None the less, thinking about that whole wireless issue I had before, does it spring any thoughts out of you two?

I have to go for now, but I shall catch up with this tomorrow when I'm over here at my girl friends again!

Thanks so much,

Orion

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Orion;

Thanks so much for the detailed update. Again does your Setpoint produce an interface with KB tab as the one I attached?

Luv yr patience & tenacity.

Jill

·
3,258 Posts
Hi again

Sorry, I've been working on a stubborn laptop repair & been busy. . .

Try moving msconfig back to a 'normal' startup - & then looking at your startups with Autoruns and Process Explorer. Seems like the AirLink installation could have modified a setting/service/startup - checking with those SysInternals tools will at least let you know what's starting/running, so you can check on dependencies & such.

Try putting the RPC Service to "Manual" - if anything needs it to run, it will start then. It's not usually considered a security hazard. The Elder Geek, along with several other XP Services guides, give it the recommendation of a "manual" setting. Check out some of the other Services recommendations as well. It would be nice if the hotkeys just need a few settings to change to make them happy.

In your EventViewer logs, did you notice anything reporting a service failing to start?

I'll likely save a bookmark of your repair once we find a solution - I imagine there are others out there trying to solve this puzzle . . .
. . . Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another user with the same Logitech problems

Hi guys!

First of all, how relieved I'm to finally find some discussion on this issue with Logitech Internet 350 keyboard (not a common issue, it seems as Google doesn't show up much of the results).

Now, to the point - I've recently bought a computer and also the Logitech 350 Internet Keyboard. And I happen to have the same problems as ori0nz.belt.

The small difference is that my keyboard is PS/2, not USB, switching to a USB to PS/2 as ori0nz.belt suggested shouldn't help (actually, I had an opposite idea "I wish it were USB" :smile: ).

Anyway, when I first installed the WinXP SP2 with all the motherboard/sound/video/etc. drivers (though, not SetPoint yet) the keyboard worked fine and all the shortkeys were also functioning well.

During the other couple of days I've been gradually installing other programs like antivirus, firewall and all the stuff (now including the SetPoint). Obviously, that included all the Windows updates as well.

So, after some time of working I noticed strange behaviour of computer - it started to freeze (or, rather "loose focus" as ori0nz.belt) - I could do all the actions with Windows+R and stuff, but couldn't perform any actions. Actually, there were two types of system freezes:
Error 1) the one described by ori0nz.belt
and
Error 2) when it froze, but after a minute or so it came back to normal (if it didn't sometimes pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del and waiting another minute helped OR in the worst case it all came to Error 1))

Now, the reasons for the Error 2 type of errors were a bit different from the start - I didn't press the shortkeys. It was something else, mostly when Outpost firewall asking me for permissions.

So, I started to blame it all on Outpost and other programs - reinstalled all the antivirus, firewall and anything else that were constanlty running in the system, google on the error, but didn't find any help.

Only then I found an easier way to replicate the system freeze - I had to press any shortkey on the keyboard and then the Error 1 that ori0nz.belt described appeared. Yet, I still blamed all the other software for this (because it was this software that I originally encountered problems with).

Anyway, it took me a looong while before I realised that keyboard was actually the main source of this hang-ups.
Couple of side notes: I had a problem with IE7 - whenever I tried to press Alt-Tab from within IE7 the system froze, but pressing Ctr-Alt-Del restored everything back to normal (until another Alt-Tab from within IE7) - uninstalling IE7 to IE6 back helpd with this at least.

After I pinned down the issue I started to experiment a bit with it - didn't lead me to anything useful, but there are a few notes I think might help you, guys, understand the issue better.
First, sometimes the system doesn't freeze for several shortkeys presses (like I can increase volume or invoke Media player), but after 2 or 3 presses on the keys it all freezes again. And sometimes it freezes the first time.

There were onl two ways to shut down the computer without pressing the power button I found:
1. pressing WinKey+L and then click on the power off button on the welcome screan
2. when you hold Ctrl+Alt and press Del repeatedly the windows seem to "update" (i.e. if the Windows task bar shows still figures for memory usage by processes (because it's frozen whenever you click on it) pressing Ctrl+Alt and Del several times again makes the numbers update). So, I actually managed to click on the Restart button in the Taskbar menu by almost constantly pressing the Del key (with Ctrl+Alt already pressed)

Well, that's probably all I know about this problem.

So, guys, what do you tnink on that? I'd really appreciate if you helped me pin down the exact source of the problem and how it could be solved?
Big thanks 1. for your already posted discussions and 2. in advance for any advice you could give to solve the problem

P.S.
I'll now check what OldGrayGary suggested on checking all the files/spyware, etc., though I'm 99% sure the computer is clean - it's a new computer with clean installation and Antivirus&Firewall were the two first programs to be installed on it with immediate antivirus bases update.
Will come back to you when I've tried it!

P.P.S.
I've also found another mention of the same problem in another forum
http://forums.windowsforum.org/index.php?showtopic=28384&mode=linear
though there is no real solution either (it says that coming back to first system restore point helped). But I don't thinks that's an option since you don't really know what to do when the problem comes back.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
eugenes;

Wow.....U poor, thorough, keen guy! Sounds like WAR AND PEACE!:laugh: :wink:

Again, Gary on whole other level re the arcane nuts & bolts than Jilly.....but may I ask why you didn't load the software which came with the KB?

And remember, there is leylogger in Setpoint and U iwll need Snoop Free to fend it off ongong.

Did U register the board at Logitech? They do offer support......not sure on wut level.

And yes, of course, the connectivity does not impact performance per se, though I posted somewhere here asking why Logitech both supplies a USB>Ps2 adapter with my board, and also, in instruction book and with illustrations, said with desktop system, to use it!

I learned here....it involves accessing the bios! Will try to find that.

Hope Gary & others continue 2 weigh in on this....U poor guy(s).

Jill

PS....found it:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/other-f25/kb-connectivity-question-124754.html

·
3,258 Posts
Hi all -

eugenes - by all means, check out the malware angle, that can never hurt. Since your machine is new, make sure that you don't inadvertently have more than one real-time scanner of each type of anti-malware programs installed. Here's my little advisory on that:

Security Programs Can Conflict
This problem has been showing up more often recently, so try to remember that only one of each sort of real-time antimalware process should be installed [Real-Time = runs scans on-access (runs all the time!)]
1) Only one real-time Pop-up Blocker, one real-time Anti-Spam blocker, one real-time Anti-Virus, one real-time Anti-Spyware, one Firewall.
2) It's best to have only one locally installed antivirus program, period. It is possible to run an online antivirus scan - with a tool such as TrendMicro's HouseCall - without causing conflicts with your real-time scanner. Only one antivirus, though, should be installed locally on your computer. [The online scanners generally use an ActiveX or Java engine]. Online scans are handy ways of double-checking that your local scanner is doing its job.
3) You can have many anti-spyware programs installed, and can use them to help scan for spyware, but these scans will be different: they will only run when you start them. You can have your one real-time scanner on all the time. The other scanners will likely not bother the real-time scanner (though there are some conflicts - but often these are patched) so long as you only try one manually-started scan at a time. In other words, you can also run an AdAware scan from time to time, or a SpyBot scan from time-to-time - but you wouldn't run an AdAware scan and a SpyBot scan at the same time.
4) Only one software firewall can be installed and running in a PC.

Specialized keyboard Hotkeys often rely on a background process running as a Service, and usually have other XP Services that they depend on:

Check your Windows Services
If necessary Windows services aren't configured properly, programs that depend on them won't perform properly. Here's a well-known guide --- http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

If you've used msconfig to stop programs from running at startup, try returning to a normal startup, and then check on your processes with the MS/SysInternals tools listed below, and remove programs permanently from your startup groups by either making changes in their "options" or "preferences" menus, or by making the exact edits necessary in the Run keys in the Registry (for advanced users only).

Check on your startup program with AutoRuns --- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Autoruns.mspx
Check on your running processes with Process Explorer --- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx --- and Process Monitor --- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/processmonitor.mspx

And check in EventViewer to see what modules are mentioned in the logs that coincide with the lockups & misbehavior

To Explore EventViewer:
1) Click on Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools/EventViewer.
2) Several logs are listed: simply select a log, and events will appear in a list in the window-pane to the right.
3) To view the details of an event, right-click the event, and select “Properties”.
_________

Let's hope a little adjusting in the Services setup does the trick
. . . Gary

[Hi there Jill]

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Backatcha, Gary.....and again, the keylogger in the Logitech software made my Hijack this implode....and nothing picked it up, not even Housecall. Only SnoopFree found it & categorized it as Major Threat.

eugenes: given neither the other victim nor I is in Moscow....at least we can take solace in that it's probably NOT....Mr. Putin:rolleyes:
Jill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi again, guys!

Thanks for your prompt reply!
After ruling out the possibility that this War&Peace is because of Mr. Putin (nice one, Ariesjill :smile: )

Well, hard to say that to you - but I just gave up solving the problem and had to reinstall the system.

The important thing before the story - installing over the existing installation doesn't help!
Only clean install with HDD formatting helped solve the problem!
(it's a pity I had to finally resort to the measure I critisized in my P.P.S.
in the first email - btw. I've just noticed there is no link to that forum although I'm rather sure I included it, anyway, her it is)

Well, now goes the story:
First, a small comment to Ariesjill - there are no drivers' CD with the keyboard. Moreover, the keyboard doesn't require any to function. Even more - since I have a logitech mouse I also installed the drivers for that (Setpoint), which also changed the keyboard driver from standard Microsoft to Logitech - but even with this drivers the problem persisted.
Btw, the Setpoint doesn't have any "keyboard tab" in it, it just changes the drivers, that's all, nothing else is customizable (just as ori0nz.belt has mentioned
And I think that the additional tab wasn't meant to be there since it's not the more-customizable keyboard like Ariesjill's -well, that's a pity, I could do with assigning different functions to the keys).

Regarding registering/support - I just wasn't sure that would be of much help, personally prefer this "forum way" to see who's had the same problem. Might give it a try, though.

Well, now comments to OldGrayGary:
1. It's not about security programs. You are absolutely right about the hazardous things that can happen if you install several firewalls/antiviruses, I'm aware of that. That's why I've only installed one firewall with spyware functions (Outpost Firewall) and one antivirus (NOD32 antivirus).

Moreover, even when in my last attempt to solve the problem I uninstalled all the resident software (firewall, antivirus, even audio drivers which placed some icon in the runnig programs and a process in task bar).
So, even with no additional processes running at all the keyboard steel made the computer freeze.

2. I haven't tinkled with the services either, everything was as it was when the OS was installed. I regularly monitor the services and have a small utility to check the Startup programs (along with what I see from msconfig). But there was nothing unusual/different from anything I saw before the problem appeared or at my laptop.
Well, I haven't tested all the utilities&Windows services services help OldGrayGary suggested (but thanks for that, I'll definitely read it later for better general understanding of the services).

3. The Event viewer didn't show anything! I specifically noted the time when I induced the system freeze and monitored the Event viewer, but there were absolutely no events at the time of the freeze! So, from the event viewer's point of view nothing wrong was going on.

Well, anyway, the clean install (with HDD formatting) works so far. I have a couple of programs left to install before it's the same as the one with problems. Let's see what can cause such a mess (although I really hope it won't happen again - keep my fingers crossed)

Btw, I haven't installed the Setpoint yet for my mouse and remember Ariesjill blaming it for some SNOOPS AND KEYLOGGER. Jill, could you, please, elaborate a bit on that. I'm not aware of what snoops/keyloggers are.
Do you mean, Setpoint actually stores somewhere all the keystrokes you press??

Well, with all my curiosity about what causes the problem, I had to work somehow, so had to recourse to the clean install method.
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions! Maybe you can infer something from what I've described.

I'll keep you posted on my progress (especially after I finish all the installation work)

Cheers,
Evgeny

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Evgeny:

First..... I mailed Gary earlier...wonder if your ears were burning there in your splendid city....I will now actually PASTE a section of that mail:

I don't know what his core problem is.....but hope it gets resolved; he deserves bettah.

THAT....IS "VERBATIM PASTE"! Gary will confirm if necessary....sent that short time ago!

On top of that you R generous, elegant, authentic and open. No residue of the second coming of the KGB will evah touch U....U have factory-loaded firewall, OK?

Now....I, and I am sure Gary will be as well....am devastated that U had to do a reformat and clean install!!!!!
O M G!
Also stunned. I thought of, also mentioned somewhere above...of the price of a lousey Logitech KB.....though there...I do not know....versus the TIME that cost U! Only mitigating factor: your system is new.....so U probably didn't loose enuff to actually want to shoot yourself.:eek:

U R tenacious, focused, great trouble-shooter to the extent U(Ior any of us) can be....and those=passion, and THAT....IS PEERLESS IN LIFE IN ALL THINGS. So, bravo...this is palpable and Very Dostoyevsky , OK?
And Tolstoy. And the Russian Army Chorus!!!!

Now I am even more rabid to know wut the problem was in your OS! Now that I know your Setpoint was not involved. Still do not get why your KB disk did not have Kb TAB. And, I think U R right re posting IN HUGE COMMUNITY like this......wherein others may come forth.....is far better and more inteesting than consulting some outsourced pseudo tech at Logitech!!!

i THINK I pasted a link herein re my Logitech keylogger.....there may have been more than one thread, given I started in Security forum, moved to HJT forum.....it was a mess....but suffice it to say, U Bet.....in many of the new Logitech KBs.....in Setpoint, there is a KEY LOGGER....possibly only HERE via the CIA, OK?.....YOU NEVAH KNOW, ok?

I discovered SNOOPFREE...which is software, right on this site. I just sensed I needed it, got it....and it discovered leylogger in both Logitech and AOL!!!!

It assesses the level of threat, gives U a choice to preclude or allow....it is fabulous. And free.

Wut I will do, is open Snoopfree interface containing todays log....and U will have all the visual U need.

Ok, just did that and will upload the screenie.

I so admire & respect ---OK, also identify with --- how you approach things, how U communicate/SHARE...
....ovah THERE...near Red SQUARE:heartlove :grin:

I am sending U a Faberge EGG. I will pack it...in SABLE.

Jill

Attachments

·
3,258 Posts
Hi again

Glad to hear that at least the system(s) - both orionz & eugenes - seem to be working OK again.

A few things:

A reasonable definition of a keylogger would be: a program that captures and records ("logs") keystrokes. Some keyloggers are considered legitimate - for example, corporations controlling the outgoing release of their intellectual property, with a strictly followed privacy policy attached, and an open knowledge of such surveillance by the employees. Of course, a malware keylogger is not legitimate at all, and information theft is its goal.

The question comes up about Keyloggers & the Logitech software - specifically it seems to be a module in the "Logitech Desktop Messenger" - this I've heard reference to before, and the danger in such software is not that the code was meant to be malicious, but that it is a poor idea - because 1) malware could theoretically find, alter, and use the program for its own reasons and 2) installing a keylogger of any sort, well-meaning or not, without the customer's consent is a horrible ethical breach of the customer's privacy. Here's an example thread on this topic, it's an especially good example, because it includes a detailed response from Logitech support that acknowledges the existence of the keylogger module, and mentions that it can be removed from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel --- http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-6455.html

The executable module seems to be named "Setpoint.exe". The Logitech Setpoint.exe should reside in this location --- [system drive]: \Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe ...

The worry is that such modules can be adapted, or simply hidden behind, by malware. And Setpoint.exe (especially if it resides in a different location) has been identified by as a component of a worm called "W32/RBot-WBI" by Sophos. That worm exhibits keylogger behavior -- you have to wonder if they patched in altered Logitech code.

So - in a nutshell: it seems best to avoid the Logitech software - at least until a version is proven to be free of such modules.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

If this thread gets any longer, we'll have to find a publisher :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi again, everyone!

Jill: well, if they weren't burning then they definitely are now - after som many nice words from you - that's touching!

You are totally right about the little value of the cause of the trouble - the lousy keyboard - and the time it took to try to work it out (what's even worse - in vain) - and here it's not even my time only, but yours and Gary's as well. So, thanks a lot to you for the help

Well, hopefully not all of the Faberge were bought out by Vekselber :smile:
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2004/02/05/002.html

Gary, it's an interesting think you say about Setpoint since it's a necessary program for me to set up additional key functions to my Logitech mouse (the key functions come in very handy). Have just read the link you posted - well, hopefully it was about keyboard software and some time ago, not the new versions.
Though since you mention setpoint.exe to be potentially unsafe, do you know if I could check somehow that the current version is ok (the latest one being Version: 3.10 Posted: 09/20/2006)? Because, again, it's a rather useful for setting the mouse, so I wouldn't want to loose that functionality.

P.S. Remembering that only clean install with formatting helped I now backed up the whole partitition after WinXP&most of the software have been installed. So, next time the evil comes I'll be a bit more prepared to handle it... Or at least suffer less of a time loss :smile:

Cheers,
Evgeny

·
3,258 Posts
Hi again

If your Setpoint is located in the right place, it's not likely the malware keylogger. [You could always point the applet Jill mentions at it = SnoopFree, to be sure].

The funny thing is - that the Logitech reply seemed to indicate that their psuedo-keylogging component was part of the "Logitech Desktop Messenger" -- but, as the file list at Spyware-Net shows, Setpoint.exe is not part of the Desktop Messenger, it's part of the main driver (as you already know). Spyware-Net, by the way, gives the Desktop Messenger its malware-free rating --- http://www.fbmsoftware.com/spyware-net/application/Logitech_Desktop_Messenger/

"Ah, what a tangled web we weave" (mighta been Shakespeare)
This could be said of our software as well.

Goodnight from the West Coast -
. . . Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well hey hey hey, sorry all, been busy lately ...

Just a quick update, as I have everything working smoothly now.

After running CCleaner (Which I know use quite a bit, hehe) I noticed that I was able to use the buttons for maybe 2,3, maybe 4 times before the system would lose focus... I was quite amazed that running CCleaner came to this result.

The next thing I did was made sure that all my services were in tact, and that I hadn't disabled nothing that shouldn't have been disabled. But, everything appeared to be okay.

I then fired up msconfig and enabled some of the startup items that I had disabled. There was one particular one that had to do with the AirLink PCI Wireless card I had installed. Voila! That was it. Although now I noticed that the system would still, rarely, lock up... So I proceeded to uninstall the software that came with my wireless card, and let windows manage the wireless connection. (I had left the driver for the card in tact)... Everything seems to be fine now, and I've thoroughly tested the issue...

All in all, I would guess that if people don't tinker with msconfig or services, or tweak the system in ways where it seems to disable some sort of dependency... That they would be fine.

Anyways, I would just like to say thanks to all of you for your time, OldGrayGary, AriesJill, eugenes. This was a discussion that needed to take place somewhere, and I hope that it helps a lot of people in the future. OldGrayGary has some great tips there to keep the system clean, which is a big thing these days, I believe.

Thanks again,

Orion

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.