Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently I have been having problems with my Compaq laptop. It happens whenever I restart. It gets to the login screen where I enter my password (I'm the only account), When I enter it and login it comes up with the "Logging in.." thing and then nothing.. It stays like that for at least 2-3 minutes then it loads my desktop background and nothing again, then in about another 2-3 minutes I get the windows logon sound and then nothing at all. It stays like that. I can press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and the "Windows Task Manager" appears fine but nothing else loads. No programs, no taskbar, no icons on the desktop. The only way I can use it fine is if I tap f8 as I restart then go to "Restart with the most recent configurations that worked" (Something like that, I cant restart right now to check exactly what it says). It's a little annoying having to do this every time I want to use my laptop. If anyone can help I'd be much appreciated. Here's my computer specs:

Windows XP Home Edition: Service Pack 2
HP Intel(R) Celeron(R) M Processor 1.50GHz
512MB RAM
Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Graphics Card
Direct X 9.0

If you need anything else let me know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
do you have a windows xp disk?

is your device manager clean, no yellow alerts?

and what antivirus are you using?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you have a windows xp disk? - Should do, I'll have to check the laptop box.

is your device manager clean, no yellow alerts? - I believe so, How do I go about checking this? Sorry if this is a silly thing to ask, I'm having a slow day.

and what antivirus are you using? - I'm using AVG Antivirus (I done a complete scan and it came up clean.)

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
no its not a silly thing, no problem

control panel > system > hardware > device manager

click view, then click show hidden devices

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
ok then

remove the yellow conflict in your device manager, which appears to be your rom, and reboot.

hopefully windows will see and install the drive, clean

post back

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay I just removed it, i'll reboot now and let you know what happens.

Edit: It came up as found new hardware but looking back at the device manager nothing has changed. Its still got that yellow !.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, I can't seem to find the driver updates there. As the CD drive is working on the old drivers does it matter if they are updated?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, Well i'm sure that a disk or 2 came with it but I can't find them anywhere. They aren't in the box.. I haven't taken them out either. All I can do is blame my family. Any other ideas on what to do? Sorry there isn't any CD's to look at.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
lol.. Me being the odd person I am, I posted that then I found the CD's didn't I ^^. Well, it has a "Operating System CD", "Application and driver recovery CD", "Microsoft Works 8 CD" and a few more like AOL etc.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay, well I put the CD in and nothing happens, then I go to My Computer to open the cd that way and well.. It isn't there... It allways used to be there..

Edit: Even putting a music CD or DVD in does nothing. I can hear the CD spinning but nothing appears with the options "Play music CD", "Rip Music from CD" etc. I played a music CD perfectly fine yesterday.. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm looking for the "MATSHITA UJ-840D" drivers. Anyone have them or know of where I can download them?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The model number.. hmmm where is it? Sorry...

I went to do a system restore but for some reason I don't have any set.. While 3 or 4 days ago I did have a few of them. Something isnt right here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

^
That's what I'm getting.

whosdat said:
ok then

remove the yellow conflict in your device manager, which appears to be your rom, and reboot.

hopefully windows will see and install the drive, clean

post back
Ever since that its not been working, it was working fine before (But with the yellow ! still) but now.. nothing. I would do a damn system restore but I don't seem to have any... I don't know what to do! Someone please help, it's hurting my head...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
(Sorry about another post, I can't find the edit button now..

I found this about my laptop:

service tag
product name Presario V4000
product number EK946EA#ABU
Serial Number 2CE54202WT

I hope this helps..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, well I have the CD working now, I found a website where it said to go Run > regedit and delete a certain few files. It now works so back to the restarting problem?

(Sorry about another post, I can't find the edit button again on the one above)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.