Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok somehow no matter what i change my password and hint to...my brother seems to override it to access into my login on the computer.

can anyone shed some light on how i can stop him.

thanks amie

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
add a bios level password to your machine...

although, if he is determined enough to open your case, he can get past almost anything you throw...

to get to the bios password, you will have to enter the bios page, please mention if you need assistance doing so.

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
ok, we usually use the "del" key to enter the bios (cmos) during boot.

you might have noticed that it says press del to enter setup.

on some machines however, this is not the case.

inside the bios screen when you do get to it, it has a list of options.

you want to choose the second one, (i wil have to go look to make sure what it is labeled)
inside that menu, you will see password options.

set it to system

add a password.

exit and save cmos settings.

i will go and look at what exactly is said in a sec.

if this doesnt work on your machine let us know.

(and anyone else who knows how can feel free to walk her through this if i dont come back here tonight)

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
ok, the first menu will list a bunch of options.

choose bios configuration

then, on the second menu, choose security options.

set it to system and add the password.

hope this works for you

~BoB~

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
once adjust my bios settings will this affect my log in? like will i have to type 2 passowrds or something?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Yes, if you have a BIOS password, you'll have to enter that during the boot, then the password for the desktop. You can configure XP to bypass the system login if you're the only user that ever uses the machine.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
yes, as mentioned, this password will halt the boot process about 5 seconds after power on.

i agree with bypassing the xp password.

remember, if your brother is determined enough to open your machine, it can be reset, killing the password.

although, it will be painfully obvious that somone has done this.

~BoB~

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's beginning to sound like the only way to keep someone out of your PC is to get a external HD and remove it when you are not going to be around.

My sister got drastric with her PC. She took the power cable, mouse, and keyboard!

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
About $10 solves the power cable, mouse, and keyboard problem. She doesn't realize how cheap those components are. :D

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
if you walk into any used pc store, you can get a keyboard and mouse and power cord for as low as free actually.

but, from 10 to 20 bucks for used parts is prolly what johnwill was thinking.

i know i can get power cords for a dollar.

and i can get brand new keyboards for 4 dollars.

and i can get a working used mouse for a dollar too.

so, for 6 bucks, i can get a new keyboard, a new power cord, and a working used mouse.

if i go for the new mouse, i can get one for 4 dollars, bringing the entire cost of three new parts to 9 bucks.

but, if you dont have an honest computer store near you, this might not apply.

~BoB~

·
Registered
139 Posts
Got'cha both! We are in a ****ty small town in southern AZ, where used computer shops don't exist and bus service stinks! That's why her method works! If they try to temporarily take the parts off their father's PC, he WILL know and tear them a new orfice!:D

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well, in that case, this would work.

if i wanted to be totally sure my machine was safe, i would have to actually unplug the tower and take it with me, cos everyone that could access it can get past the bios password, windows passwords, and any other password i have managed to set up.

and there is far too many keyboards, mice, and power cords laying around my room for that to work.

if i had a removable hard disk caddy in the face of my machine, then that would make it real hard for them though.

this is a nice 20 dollar solution.

no hard disk=no boot.

~BoB~

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol anyways..... i have a quick query.....my friend locked his computer up my changing his log in before he went away but he wrote the new password on a piece of paper and hid it in his room......

heres the catch

his mum cleaned his room up and the hidden password is no where to be found...

is there a way to over ride the login?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
im absolutely sure there is, but i despise XP so badly i refuse to even try to figure it out.

im sure a few others are knowledgeable in this area.

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well, lets say this...

i used 3.1 for a while, but thought it was "missing something"

then i used 95, and didnt like it cos it was a lemon.

then out came 98, and for once i was sorta happy.

but, WinME came out, i put it on my machine once, and then sold my CD.

then, out comes Win2000, i have put it on my machine at least 25 times, and always run into some sort of a conflict. (seems i like to do alot of non 2k compatible things)

then, XP, same story, except that i simply didnt like the look or the complication of it, and on top of that i see nothing but issues with it.

no-one i know actually uses it sucessfully.

and besides, if 98 works for me, then why should i switch to something that has a bunch of inflated hogwash added to it?

there is nothing i do with my computer that i need 2k or XP for.

i am happy, untill microsoft actually outdoes 98.

~BoB~

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
can anybody else shed some light on a way to over ride a login password.....even if you are the administrator....ready the problem situation in my earlier post if you dont already know whay im talking about.

thanks - amie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.