Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an active Directory set up. I am very new to this and need some help.

I have a client that has amny users. I have assigned a loggon for each person on the client and to the file server.

I want to issue a single log on to the client for all, but if I do this then the PC has to be logged off and relogged on.

How can I get the client to stay on and the user to log off the file server instead?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm trying to understand what you're saying. Here's my understanding, you setup a windows 2003 server with active directory, you setup the users on the server. Now you want to stay logged on the client machine and switching users and have them just log on and off the server.

This is not possible, it defeats the whole purpose of setting up a domain and active directory. Everytime you log on to the domain using the worstation you are actually logging on to the server, the workstation is just a "way" to access the files on the server or whatever application the server may be running. Why have different users if you want to do it this way, just have 1 username and have everyone use that username.

Let me know what you want to do, can you be a little more specific?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The PC has about 8 people that need to use it in this area. These people are from different departments. They all have their own access to the file server.

So each time someone comes along to access the file server, the last person should have logged off the PC. If not, then the next person can access their data since it is already signed on. For them to get to sign in themselves to the file server, they have to get the last person to log out of the PC.

Instead of having everyone logging on twice all the time ( the local machine and then the file server), can the PC stay on and users log on and off the file server instead?

you are right I was not clear on the first try.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It will not work that way but I see what you are saying though. the previous user has to log off and the next one has to log on because the way the server authenticates the user is by the way the user logged on to the client(username and password). I can be more detailed if you'd like but that would take me sometimes to write it out.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
You shouldn't need to find the current user to logoff themselves off so that the next person can logon. Why can't the person who wants to use the computer just log them off and login. I don't see what is so complicated about that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.