Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've set up a log off script (simple test "md H:\testdir"), and it works on all the xp machines, but not the vista ones.

I'm totally new to windows 2003 server, and I've been fiddling with group policies for all of 2 hours.

Any ideas would be very helpful

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Have you tried to push the shutdown.exe command on one of the Vista machines. Try the code below.
Code:
shutdown.exe
Basic shutdown command
or
Code:
shutdown.exe -f
Shutdown command with a force attribute
or
Code:
shutdown.exe -f -r
Shutdown command with a force attribute with Restart.

Create a batch file with these command lines in them and give them a try.

Please post back on this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried to push the shutdown.exe command on one of the Vista machines. Try the code below.
Code:
shutdown.exe
Basic shutdown command
or
Code:
shutdown.exe -f
Shutdown command with a force attribute
or
Code:
shutdown.exe -f -r
Shutdown command with a force attribute with Restart.

Create a batch file with these command lines in them and give them a try.

Please post back on this.
Well, it works just fine. Actually it works now when I log out normally as well. I guess I had to reboot the computers for the group policy to trickle down... Like I said, I'm new to windows server. When the xp machines acquired the policy immediately, I assumed the vista was supposed to do the same. Thanks for your help :)

I have another problem though. I'm trying to figure out a way to allow everyone in the office to be able to access their POP3 e-mail from any computer. (Should I make a new thread for this...?)

I'm sure you all know this, but when you download your e-mail from POP3 it is deleted from the server; meaning only the computer the e-mail is downloaded on will have access to it.
Can anyone recommend a solution to this?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You don't need to restart the Client for the Group Policy to "Trickel Down" Open a command prompt and type GPUPDATE /FORCE this will down load the new GPO.

You will need to start a new post for your Email issue.

Thanks,

XTabbedOutX

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I am sure....... If you use the command "GPUPDATE /FORCE" w/o the quotes it should grab the newest policy. If it requires a restarts it will ask you if you would like to log off as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.