Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am new to the forums here.
I have been having major problems with my system within the past 2-3 weeks now.
Firstly my system specs are:
K7N2 Delta-L
AMD Barton2500+
3x GEIL 512 3200 (two sticks DC)
Asus V9999 GE
unsure if anything else is needed for this but..

It started with random lockups, computer would just completely freeze, I wouldn't really think much of it because it wasn't too often.
It slowly moved to a more often lockup, sometimes it would seem like my video card was malfunctioning, turning my screen into a really weird resolution and stretching out red blue green colors all across (and also lock up)
But now it is every time I log into everquest 2, within 5 minutes I lock up (sometimes right away)
I forgot to mention that outside of EQ2 I have had no problems (It's the only game I have played within the past month or so, so I am not sure if it is just the game) But the thing that has been upsetting me, and also worrying me is this..
Not only do I lock up now, When I get past the windows logo during boot, My screen goes black, then shows blue dots across the screen, sometimes just like 5-6 blue dots on random spots.

On my other harddrive I have windows 2000 Pro, I tried to boot that up, and it gave me the blue dot things sometimes too, or even just white and blue streaks across my screen

I do plan on upgrading my mobo and cpu near christmas but I would really like to find out what this problem is, and fix it. I really want to avoid formating also due to having alot of important things on my computer and It would take several days to back it all up.

I have ran memory tests, also taken out individual sticks of ram and seeing if one of them is faulty, the ram had no effect on this matter, I have also ran several Virus scans and also Spybot S&D, Addaware, and used Registry Healer. I have tried doing a system restore point, but they won't work for me, they give me an incomplete message.

Outside of games my computer runs fine, I am on it right now typing this without problems.

If anyone could please help me with this problem I would be very greatful.

--
I'd like to add one thing that I forgot about, (I'm not sure if I did this before or after it started)
I did disable some services in attempt to make my computer run smoother and to free up lack of what I have, such as fax machine ect..
I got the information on what to disable and what to enable via theeldergeek.com (Unsure if it's a good site to use)

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

It sounds as if your video card is malfunctioning. Do you have another you can replace with to assure yourself it is the issue?
Also have you tried checking all the connections to and from the monitor. Swamping monitors will help eliminate that as being the culprit.

On my other harddrive I have windows 2000 Pro, I tried to boot that up, and it gave me the blue dot things sometimes too, or even just white and blue streaks across my screen
Is this drive in the same computer using the same video card and monitor?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's just another operating system on my slave drive, and as for the blue dots, I formated my drive and reinstalled windows, no more problems booting up but I still lock up in 3d games.
I really don't have the money or will to replace this videocard considering it's not even a year old and I spent 400$ on it, though I could try to contact asus about having it replaced.
The wierd thing is, when it locks up I can still move my mouse around for a short period of time before it halts also.
But I will deffinitally call asus about getting my card replaced.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I ran the benchmark and I got 820, lower than one the website says my card should be but I am sure that my old motherboard and cpu have some play in that.
I wish there was a program I could run that would just say hey this is what is wrong with your system. But that would be too easy ;)
The other day a friend of mine who works with computers all the time recommended me using SiSoftware Sandra, So I tried that also, but I am not very good with benchmark results and such, when I run that programs performance tune-up wizard, it gets to direct x and I get a blue screen of death about physical memory. ran the test a second time to make sure that is where my computer told me off and gave me the BSoD.
I am about ready to throw this thing out the window =P

·
15,478 Posts
You stated outside the game the system runs fine, have you checked for updates/patches for the game?
How much of a benchmark difference is your card showing?
Your not overclocking are you?

I checked out your card on the internet, thats a sweet card :sayyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, considering a few things here:
My computer just started locking up trying to view an image on my secondary hard drive, it was only one image but if I even clicked on it, my computer would just tell me to go away.
I have tried several different games recently to see if it was in fact just everquest 2, I have had crashes on the following (same situation)
WoW,Shadowbane,Mu Online (some free game that i used to play lol) and a few others that I forget the names of.
Currently the only things I have that I can play are diablo 2 and gunbound(lol)
As for my card with benchmarkings, I have never had a truely good benchmark result do to my cpu, My motherboard and cpu really hurt my performance in games, not so much outside of them though.
After doing alot of thinking, I believe that I will upgrade to a 64bit motherboard and cpu while keeping my video card, I have yet to contact asus though since I slept half of the day.
I would still like to resolve this though due to christmas still being 2 months away. I tried doing some things in bios, I flashed my bios too, upgraded all of my drivers except my keyboard and mouse.
Still can't think of anything =/
Oh and as for overclocking, this card does have an automatic feature, I tried it once through asus' program but I did not feel safe doing so - That only lasted about a half hour. I did this long before the problem started.

And thank you for the compliment on the video card, Since I formatted, I will download some of the benchmarking programs I have used in the past and see if my card is having problems running those and compairing my new benchmarks toward my older ones and I will get back to you about that.
(most likely tomorrow night)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Have you ran any tests on your memory? I had a simular problem Had two 512's that ran together for a year then started to have lockup's and blue screens ran DOCmem and had mem errors pulled one no errors. Replace it with the other one no errors put them both back in and the errors were back. :4-dontkno
I noticed that your board is an MSI so was the one that I had the problems with. The current MSI board I have now will only run with 512 Kingstons that are CL2.5. MSI can be very finiky when it comes to compatibility.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I ran two different memory tests;
Memtest86 and some other one that I forget the name of, I will try the one you had mentioned though.
The two I ran showed no problems, but like said i'll give this one a shot. =]

·
15,478 Posts
I was sent a pm from Ceptimus stating the issue is now resolved. Turns out it had two problems, the duct in the graphics card had dust and cat hair in it, and needed a new power supply.

Thanks to all who contributed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.