Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running DOS and when I tried to return to Windows 98 all I can do is get the message if you want to return to windows type exit. I did and can not go back. Had to run msconfig and start up on step by step conformation, but when I shut the computer down I am back to square one.

Finally installed windows over. I now have two window programs.and still have to run the step by step conformation to get to windows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My error message reads- Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application-The windows registry or system.INI file refers to this file but device file no longer exists-If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or set up program-If you still want to use the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file-

Next line reads C:\progra"1\cyberm"1\cmapieng.vxd

There is no prompt after this line and I continue thru the set up at the end it says press any key to continue and when I do windows popped up ( this morning) but if I shut down I am back to the dos and had to start up under step-by-step conformation.

I did not delete any file I know of.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
tracy101 said:
I was running DOS and when I tried to return to Windows 98 all I can do is get the message if you want to return to windows type exit. I did and can not go back.
Since you have re-installed windows, it is to late for this info. Here is a link to a MS KB article on how to fix your original problem. I ran into this problem once and this fixed it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q151717

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support page, like I said I am now running the original windows but have not had the guts to shutdown and try a fix.

When I do shut down I am back to dos prompt and have to do a step by step conformation to get to window.

I did run another diag. and came up with 3 messages that a device file thread may be needed to run windows or a window application cannot be found, the windows registry or system, INI file refers to this file but device file no longer exists and if you deleted this file on purpose try unisntallling the associated application using its uninstall or set up program.

·
Registered
6 Posts
it looks like your either going to spend half your life trying to fix the prob [notice i said trying] or your gonna have to format and reinstall............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.