Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened a new user account yesterday for a niece. Everytime she goes to her hotmail account and starts reading her mail, it locks up. Other programs you attempt to open after this occurs also lock up. Task manager has to be utilized to end these processes.

I have tried closing the account and then re-opening, but same result. The other 3 user accounts all operate normally. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What OS are you running?

What type of account does your niece have? Try creating her an account with administrative rights. See what happens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows XP, Limited account. I'm at work and haven't tried upgrading to an administrator account yet.

·
Registered
283 Posts
OK.

Before you change her account over to administrator, go to the internet explorer icon. Right click the icon and go to the properties option. Go to the security tab. Then make sure that it is on internet.

Maybe because if you set the option as restricted this might not allow her to see some sites.

If this doesn't work then change her account over to administrator.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok...Finally got back to dealing with this problem. Changing hers to an Administrator account seems to fix it.

The only tabs I see are General, Shortcut, and Compatibility. I tried Tools/Internet Options/Security but didn't see what I thought I was looking for. Am I missing it?

By the way...What is the difference between Internet and Local Intranet?

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to update the problem description...

Some programs, such as game or instructional CD's, suddenly won't open properly in any account but Administrator. If opened they freeze and the Task Manager has to be used to close them. One throws up the following messages:

CODEBASE ERROR
Error #: -60
Error #:90615
Opening File
file4open
(gives link)

CODEBASE ERROR
Error #: -935
Error #:94001
Null Input Parameter unexpected
d4field

Fatal Application Exit

I don't know if these help at all but I figure too much info is better than too little. Since I don't know what all you need, I'm trying to give you all I know, which isn't much. Thanks again.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The differents between internet and intranet has to do with public sites to local sites. Such as www.yahoo.com is a public site and an intrenal site like for your company is a local site. Hope this doesn't confuse you.

And with your new problem I haven't work with WinXp that much but I think in the Home Edition you could only allow you to create two users, Administor and limited user. I would set everyone up as administrators if they want to add programs or play games.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Drifter, but I can't give Administrator accounts to everyone.

Update on problem...Printer has stopped working in all Limited accounts.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
When did it all go bad...if you havent made any major modifications try one of two things...

Start- programs - accesories- system tools -system restore

pick a point where it worked

Also put the XP CD rom in the drive and boot to it....select repair installation...and (as others laugh- cause this fixes alot of issues) run through the setup again...

go to windows updates and make sure all your patches, service packs, and hotfixes are in place...including bring internet explore to 6 and patched

Try deleting one of the user and setting up a test user and see if there is a diffrence...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.