Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm running XP Service Pack 2, and for some reason, my internet connectivity icon has disappeared from my taskbar all of a sudden. I've gone into the 'Properties' setting for my local area connection, and made sure that the 'Show notification icon' box is checked. I've also gone into the 'Customize notification' settings for my taskbar and set the internet connectivity icon to 'always show'. Still no luck...

Also, when I've gone into my 'Network Connections' window and right-clicked on my local area connection to try to view its status, nothing happens. Likewise, if I right-click the connection and select 'disable', the option doesn't toggle to then say 'enable' (even though the connection is actually disabled).

Hope this all makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem. When I come out of standby (intermittantly), I have no network connectivity. No icon in the taskbar. When this happens, I can't reboot. I have to physically turn off my PC. When I turn it back on again connectivity is O.K. Happens a couple of times a day. I don't see an answer to the post by 'stonerose'. Am I not doing something properly?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
Both of you should check the power settings in Device Manager for the NIC. I'd suspect that if you remove all the power saving options it might help. Also, download and install the latest drivers for your network hardware.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have the latest driver and have all power options turned off. It's really quite puzzling. This only happens when I come out of standby. When there is no NIC icon, my PC freezes up - I get "unresponsive program" no matter what I try to do. It happens about once a day. I can't reboot or shutdown via Windows. My PC comes out of standby about 5 or 6 times a day. Is there a work-around to reconnect without physically turning my PC off and on?

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
This is a very common issue. FWIW, I had a similar issue with Vista on my desktop coming out of standby, and I finally had to stop using the on-board NIC and put in a PCI NIC that works properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.