Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a Toshiba laptop Satellite M35 series with XP. My problem is that my hard drive is wiped clean and I'm trying to re-install everything. I haven't gotten past the first step, i.e. when loading the recovery disk it loads as mush as 95% of the recovery data; then I get an error message: "Write Sector Failure, result = 1, drive = Sectors 6292927 to 6292991: Those sector numbers vary with each of the five times I have tried to install the recovery disk. So I'm unable to completely install the recovery stuff so I can install XP and all the other software. What is my problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
joeten - I took your suggestion and downloaded seatoolsm and burned it to a cd. When I tried to boot from the cd the laptop would not boot and there's no way I know of to open the seagate program to do it's job. Got any other ideas?

·
Sr. Tech, TSF Team Emeritus Microsoft Support Staf
1,099 Posts
Try booting into setup. It's usually F2, F8, or F10. When your computer starts there's usally a brief screen that tells you the number. Shut the computer off and start again and tap the key and setup should come up. (Hopefully. If you can get that farm go to boot order and move boot form CD to the top and save. It should then boot from the CD instead of trying to boot from the harddrive. Good luck.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,132 Posts
Did you download the ISO image of Seatools for Dos ? then burn the Image with IMGBurn. I believe if you hit F12 after boot up you can change the first boot device on your computer to be CD drive. Then put the newly created CD in the drive restart the computer and boot off of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your advice; I finally removed my hard drive and had it checked and it was found to be busted! So now I have ordered anew drive and hope I can get that installed and working withouit having a nervous breakdown.

·
Decessit
68,880 Posts
Hi you have the install or recovery disc ? you will need the drivers for the machine, so go to the computer makers support site for your model and download them to a usb device or burn to a disc then you can install them,
Disc is the better option as you can put it away in case you need it at some point later

·
Registered
301 Posts
One little caveat..... Seatools is from Seagate and will only work if you have a Seagate drive somewhere in the system. (unless, they have dropped that requirement) Likewise, MaxBlast and Maxtor drives. It's been a while since I needed to use SeaTools, but the limitation to have at least one Seagate drive in the system was still in effect then.
That package also comes with Acronis true image, backup software. I used the installed version to make a Recovery CD, which runs the entire program, both backup and restore.

If you have a Seagate drive, the SeaTools package is a great way to get a FREE backup program.

Cheers mates
:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.