Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks...

I have a laptop here that has a netgear Wireless card. Everything was fine until yesterday. Before I could access all the sites - even though flash or video uploads would take time, it still worked.

Now, my laptop is connecting to sites and when it tries to load up the page - it just crashes or doesnt do anything.

Help please.

-=Amethyste

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Hello Amethyste.

So we can help you better, we'll need some information from you:

* When you say "...it just crashes or doesn't do anything.", could you elaborate more?

* What is the make and model of your Netgear wireless card? If you are unsure how to check, look in the Device Manager in Windows XP. Control Panel -> System -> Hardware tab, Device Manager button -> Network adapter listing. Also, right-click the device and select Properties, and tell us if the status window lists any problems.

* Does this happen only when using it at home, work, hotspots, or all of the above? If at home, what is the make and model of the wireless router that you are using?

* What are your current network settings? Go to the Run window and type cmd to open a command prompt. In the command prompt, type ipconfig /all. Copy and paste the printed results by right-clicking in the window, Select All, press Enter to copy, then paste the contents in your reply.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Cellus,

Well, when I try to access lets say myspace or even gmail, it goes to the page, but 1/2 of the pictures load up and or when i type in my info/login then press the enter button it just sits there with the hourglass and does nothing.

The windows status lists that my device is working properly.
The problem is happening at home. the model is Netgear WGR614 v6.

current settings:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\CTS>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : AMEY
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-2F-D0-F3-81
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 23, 2006 6:21:20
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 24, 2006 8:16:09 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\CTS>

C:\Documents and Settings\CTS>

I'll be waiting for your next instructions. THank you.

-=Amethyste

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Interesting, your DNS server is set to your router and not your ISP. This could potentially cause a bottleneck, which could be your problem, so let's see if we can configure your router to not act as the DNS. In any case, you are better off using the DNS servers directly from your ISP in a home environment.

If you could give me the make and model of your router that would be great. With that information I should be able to give you clearer instructions on how to configure it, instead of giving you general ones.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Well, most routers point the DNS address at themselves, and they just forward the request to the ISP's DNS servers. There is a benefit here, if you want to use a new DNS server network-wide, you just change the one in the router to point where you'd like your DNS server, and all the workstations use it. If you manually change it, you have to do that for each workstation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think its a network issue

My laptop works great to other sites that does not require flash/animation.
To gmail - myway - even to microsoft updates - it works fine. But lets say I want to go to myspace - well, then after I enter my login/password, nothing happens, the hourglass just ticks and nothing happens.

I have firefox AND IE 7 and flash 9 on there... but on my desktop I have flash 8 and I have no issues... Hmmmm... I wonder if it has to do with that instead of anything else...

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Well, most routers point the DNS address at themselves, and they just forward the request to the ISP's DNS servers. There is a benefit here, if you want to use a new DNS server network-wide, you just change the one in the router to point where you'd like your DNS server, and all the workstations use it. If you manually change it, you have to do that for each workstation.
Good point. It's acting as a forwarder, not the actual service. :xolconfus

If you somehow have two installations of Flash, or an improper upgrade (from 8 to 9), it could cause problems. The point you made with it only having real issues on sites that use Flash support this. Try uninstalling flash and re-installing the latest version. See if this helps.

As for MySpace, that is a little unusual. Try clearing out your browser cache (Firefox: Tools -> Clear Private Data...; IE7: Tools -> Delete Browser History...). Many login issues for sites were rectified by clearing the cache, as cookies and saved login information was out-of-date/unusable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.