Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a little background on my system:

There are 5 users on the computer. Of course, I usually log on with my own account.

However, since 2 days ago, everything has literally started to fall apart. First of all, when I log in, it ATI gives me a messaging say that "The Command Line Interface has encountered an error and has to close." Then a short while after, it would say "Windows explorer has encountered an error and has to close.", even though I was not even using windows explorer.

From then on, any program I would try to use such as Internet Explorer would suddenly freeze and encounter an error. Even when I open MSN Messenger, I get the message "MSN Messenger has encountered an error and has to close.". Any other program I open results in the same sort of error messages and eventually my computer locks up. When I press ctrl-alt-delete, it says that the CPU usage is enormously high (99%-100%) even when I have NO programs open. :mad:

The strange thing is that after I log off and go on any body else's Windows XP account, there are absolutely no problems at all.

I am currently scanning my computer for viruses, but none have turned up yet.

Can anybody shed any light on my situation, and why only my account is fatally glitched? I feel extremely helpless and frustrated.

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it! :grin:

NOTE: No, restarting the system does not help. This problem has persisted for the last 2 days no matter how many times I reboot the computer.

·
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT
1,238 Posts
Re: Literally EVERY program is saying "Encountered an error and has to close"

first I would press that old F8 button and see about getting into safe mode... If you can do that write back!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

first I would press that old F8 button and see about getting into safe mode... If you can do that write back!
Interesting...

If I am able to do that, what should I do from there?

Oh and you guys probably already guessed it but yes I'm on somebody else's account right now. If I was on my own I would not be able to be communicating right now, haha.

·
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT
1,238 Posts

You’re going to attempt to shut some things down... I might have to stop at this point...I don't want to mislead you in anyway I am not one of the techs on this site. There are some very good techs all willing to help you out... I'm sure in time they will see this and read it and reply back offering their help to you.... See if you can get into the safe mode so you’re already to go when they ask you some questions, questions like copy specs and other simple things.

Don't freak out from the post above. It could be other issues here not a virus. Like maybe 1 of the other 5 users touched something they shouldn’t have...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You’re going to attempt to shut some things down... I might have to stop at this point...I don't want to mislead you in anyway I am not one of the techs on this site. There are some very good techs all willing to help you out... I'm sure in time they will see this and read it and reply back offering their help to you.... See if you can get into the safe mode so you’re already to go when they ask you some questions, questions like copy specs and other simple things.

Don't freak out from the post above. It could be other issues here not a virus. Like maybe 1 of the other 5 users touched something they shouldn’t have...

About the safe mode... how do I get into it anyways? I have tried pressing F8, even on this unaffected account, but nothing happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

go here http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/hijackthis-log-help/15968-important-read-before-posting-malware-removal-help.html

follow instructions and post a log in the hijackthis log help as you may well be infected
I will definetely give that a try after my antivirus finishes scanning.

Just wondering though... if it was some sort of malware, wouldn't it be affecting all the users, not only me?

·
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT
1,238 Posts

By pressing the F8 key right when Windows starts, usually right after you hear your computer beep when you reboot it, you will be brought to a menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.