Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a new PC and am looking for a really good DVD-burner. I've narrowed it down to these two: LITE-ON or NEC.
I know both Lite-on and nec are good brands, but I was wandering what are the differences between the two and which one was better.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
from what i've seen, i'd classify lite-on as a generic.

right along with benQ.

nec is a more reputable name, but in this situation, i'd say either one are just as likely to make you happy.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would go with the NEC one. Lite-on makes great cd/cdrw/dvd drives but I been quite disapointed in there DVDRW. On the other Hand I been quite happy with NEC DVDRW. I would say NEC makes the secound best DVDRW drives. Plextor making the best.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
i always run liteons because they are cheap and have good support on the net,i don't run their firmware i update it from rpc1,
about 2/3rds of all drives are liteons,
a number of well known brands rebadge them and up the price and sell them as their own

·
Registered
292 Posts
I also saw the SOHC-5235K model but Lite-On website lists both models with the same features and specs, but there has to be something different about the 2 models, they both come in beige or black colors, so that's not it, any ideas? thanks

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
half size?

holy cow that would be sweet.

wait, can you explain what half height is?

on google i found dozens and dozens of cd-roms that call themselves half height, yet, they all look like a normal drive.

·
Registered
292 Posts
dai said:
i think the 35 is a half height drive,you want the 36

actually all of Lite-On drives are half height according to their website,
so do you have any problems with your Lite-On drives(too noisy as some have stated?)which models do you have? thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
dai said:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=109986
you will notice that the control buttons are in the cd tray on half height and not in the base of the drive
my drive is a sohw-8325 and i have used 3rd party firmware to update it to 8x dual layer

thanks for the link, I registered and posted my question there, so it seems a go for the SOHC-5236K(retail version), thanks for your help here :sayyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.