Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here using any distro of linux?

As I type this I am downloading Mandrake 8.2 on one of my other machines.

I have been trying Mandrake since version 7.0

I'll run it for a month or so then give up on it and wipe the drive.

It just doesn't seem to have anything to offer besides the OS itself.

If your going to use it you have to be ready to commit to it fully I guess...:)

But that is what machine no. 3 is going to be for...:D

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've used Caldera and have Red Hat 5.1. I like KDE and there are some cool classic games bundled with kde (Asteroids, space invaders, centipede- IDENTICAL to the originals). I need to buy a newer version 'cause the last time I tried to load Red Hat it didn't like my vid card but was probably just my inexperience. I know a software developer now that can aid me in the next adventure which will be this month.

I f I were going to set up a web server or a FTP server I would go with a Linux flavor.

I don't currently run it because I bought a HPDJ952 printer and can't find a driver. "Winmodems" will not work with Linux, also.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,296 Posts
Just before reloading RH 6.1 onto one of my spare machines and I use 5.1 at work. BTW JAMMAN, some winmodems can be persuaded to work with Linux!
MT

·
Registered
852 Posts
Interesting, I did not know that. I try to only buy hardware modems anyway but I still have a couple winmodems in the closet.

I like Star office and used to use it even in windows at work.

Are you near Anderson, MT?

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,296 Posts
JAMMAN: Kinda close - I'm in the upper part of the state.
DJ: (doing my best Ric impersonation) WOOOOOOOOO!
Darn! Now I've got to go put one of those Weakmodems back into a machine(my ex-neighbor's got fried in a T-storm the other night) - bummer.
MT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.