Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lindows 3.0 stable like linux, ease like windows check it out at
www.lindows.com plus doe's anybody knows if it is out. And where to get it.......

S

·
0 Posts
I think it's out and it is reportedly $129.00. The where part I don't know...................:confused:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
lol, walmart on the $149 dollar systems ... Tech support will be picking up around here if those are readily purchased :D

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The advantages of Windows is hardware manfacturers make drivers that will work on your OS... so the trick with Lindows, is they need to reinvent the wheel in terms of drivers (just like Linux did) that is why Lindows is only available on those machines, and why you'll have to wait a while to add extra hardware or upgrades... no drivers... no function

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Lindows...a review by tech TV

$200 Lindows PC: Bargain or Boondoggle?

Wal-Mart is selling new computers at a price most of us can afford. Find out if you're better off saving up for something else.

By Phil Allingham
Printer-friendly format
Email this story

Two hundred dollars for a full-fledged, brand-new computer -- what a great deal! Or is it? Wal-Mart, Microtel, and Lindows certainly want you to believe it is with the promise of the Microtel SYSMAR710 800-MHz PC. But before your part with $200 of your hard-earned money, watch as we take a closer look at this superbargain PC.

What's good?

Let's ignore the operating system and software for now and say you just want a box. Maybe the parts are enough to entice you to spend your $200.

You'll save $50 on the parts plus the additional shipping charges of buying each item individually. Click here for a chart of the specific hardware parts in the box and their approximate Internet retail prices.

In case you were wondering, Wal-Mart's website charges approximately $17 for standard shipping and about $70 for priority.

What's bad?

Hardware
A modem is noticeably missing. If you plan to connect this PC to your home network, this isn't a big deal. If you use a dialup account, plan to spend another $15 on a modem and set aside the time to install it yourself.

The speakers are almost useless. You're not going to want to listen to MP3s through them. Also, you don't get a monitor, but at this price there's no way you should expect one.

LindowsOS
Having an operating system installed in nice, but it's not worth paying for Lindows. Lindows, it seems, is based on Debian Linux with KDE's K Desktop skinned with fancy Lindows graphics. Both Debian and the K Desktop are free to download.

Software
You don't get a big set of software titles in the base install. You'll get 10 free software downloads via the Lindows Click-n-Run Warehouse (Lindows' fancy name for download service), but after that it's a $100-per-year subscription. All the titles I saw are available for free elsewhere.

Conclusion

It's hard to endorse this PC, despite the slight savings on hardware. The hardware is nearly obsolete and there's not enough room to upgrade. Once you're frustrated with the machine you'll have to buy a new one.

If you're really looking for a bargain PC, take a look at CompUSA's auction site. You'll pay a bit more than $200, but you'll get a modern PC with all features you need to really take advantage of the digital revolution.

Company: Wal-Mart with Microtel
Phone: 1.800.966.6546
Price: $200
Available: Now
Category: Desktop PC
Platform: LindowsOS
Warranty: One year, parts

Specs: VIA C3 800

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Valiant wrote:
The advantages of Windows is hardware manfacturers make drivers that will work on your OS... so the trick with Lindows, is they need to reinvent the wheel in terms of drivers (just like Linux did) that is why Lindows is only available on those machines, and why you'll have to wait a while to add extra hardware or upgrades... no drivers... no function
The neat thing about Linux, as differs from Windows, is that you can write your own drivers! Or you can put out a public request for a driver and someone would write it. Then the driver gets distributed along with the rest of the OS - assuming it's a good driver.

I am not claiming to have a clue as to how to write a driver ... but the point is that the Operating System is Open Source - anyone can go in and make a change or write a driver to work with it - and a lot of people do.

Whereas with M$, you'd have to be licensed to work with the OS and to be able to interact with it in any substantial way - say to write a driver for a product.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Pseudocyber said:
Valiant wrote: The neat thing about Linux, as differs from Windows, is that you can write your own drivers!
For the average user writing your own drivers would be like making your own jet fuel... granted I know the advantages of Linux, but I endorsed Windows with that in the fact my grandparents are able to use it.... it is dumb enough for everyone to understand the basics and do what they need to do... I love open source, especially after the XP fiasco... so I understand but I mentioned Windows for a reason.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Valiant - I'm with you. I was just trying to illustrate to those that might not know - that in Linux, drivers are also developed by individuals not affiliated with the device manufacturer.

As I said, I would be clueless about how to write a driver ... :dontknow: :scared: :zap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.