Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all.

I am currently running 2 ASUS P2B-D's and a P2B-DS all at dual 350 and 256 mb ram, and I think it's time to upgrade. If I didn't have so many problems with my Voodoo 3000 in XP, I wouldn't even be bothering now.

Anyway.

I was just starting my research on the ASUS P4C800 Deluxe looking for Linux problems and praise when I came upon this handy little site. I'm looking to dual boot Win XP Pro and Linux Mandrake 9.1/9.2. It's going to be a simple gaming machine with rolling upgrades (starting rather light and putting more money into it as I go).

Starting with a P4 2.6ghz processor, 512 mb of Kingston PC3200 CL 2.0 RAM (2x256) and a pair of Seagate ST380023AS SATA 80 GB drives and maybe an older EIDE 40 I have my MP3's on. I'm looking at a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Video card as it seems to get along better with Linux than ATI. I'll run onboard sound for a while until I decide to upgrade to an Audigy 2.

I'm undecided on CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW to go with as of yet. I'm also caseless as of yet, though those I will go shopping for in person and I am open to suggestions.

Since my apartment tends to be a bit hot, I'll run with round cables and VANTEC AeroFlow VP4-C7040 as a CPU fan, and lots of case fans. Can never have too many fans. heh

Anything I should know about the Mobo for Linux or dual booting, as well as possible better hardware selections?

TIA
MiscDebris

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Anything I should know about...possible better hardware selections?
  • My past study showed Seagates are not currently the fastest out there; you might want to check specs for Maxtor and WD. Be sure to look for sustained data rates, the 150MB/s burst rates aren't useful figures.
  • Why choose the P4C800 Deluxe instead of the P4C800-E Deluxe? The non-E puts the LAN on PCI, which wastes PCI bus bandwidth. The -E puts it on the Northbridge instead, out of the way of PCI.
  • That Vantec cooler looks pretty slick. Not only that, its "optimized magnetic line of induction presents low magnetic hysteresis and results in increased torque" while "the assembly of T.M.D. motor to the housing applies the method of gomphosis"! -Vantec
    Cool. :bandit:

I can't be sure but I'm just a bit worried the largeness of this unit might interfere with the corner of the Northbridge heatsink on the P4C800 Deluxe. The P4C800-E Deluxe dispenses with that issue, by rotating the heatsink by 45 degrees.
Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the help, mate. Sounds like you had a hand in designing this mobo. heh

Well actually, the P4C800-E Deluxe was my intended selection. I just miss-pasted the wrong spec.

Back to WD it seems. That's about all I run anyway.

I like that heat sink is designed. it gets more air to the core of the sink and cools the chip better, and the motor isn't in the center meaning a much smaller hub, and more air flow.

Any issues with dual-booting it and/or Linux?

Thanx for the help!

MiscDebris

·
Registered
13 Posts
clintfan said:
  • My past study showed Seagates are not currently the fastest out there; you might want to check specs for Maxtor and WD. Be sure to look for sustained data rates, the 150MB/s burst rates aren't useful figures.

• Unless you do video editing or someting similar, who gives a rats a.. about sustained data rates? You never use it, unless you do the mentioned video editing. For regular use, burst transfers (of the drive, not the controller, the 150mb/s is the interface speed) and even more importantly, access times are what you need to be looking at. That is what will give you the fast feel and performance. Unfortunately, IDE is crap at both really. Only exception being the WD Raptor SATA series drives, but they are basically SCSI drives with a SATA interface board. Which also explains the odd small sizes and prices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.