Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And yes, I like Linux :)

There's a couple of things I can not figure though, and it would be great if you could help me out a bit.

1) During my installation, I chose to install a MySQL database, but when I install phpMyAdmin I get the following error:
[1.20] I receive the error "cannot load MySQL extension, please check PHP Configuration".
To connect to a MySQL server, PHP needs a set of MySQL functions called "MySQL extension". This extension may be part of the PHP server (compiled-in), otherwise it needs to be loaded dynamically. Its name is probably mysql.so or mysql.dll. phpMyAdmin tried to load the extension but failed.

Usually, the problem is solved by installing a software package called "PHP-MySQL" or something similar.
All this is like Chinese to me. I have a MySQL database up and running, which is confirmed in my phpinfo() file.

Do you know how to solve this?

2) I was also wondering, since I have installed the webserver, if it is possible to view my localhost from other computers connected to my network?
Right now it works when I type localhost on my own box, but I cannot figure out how to make that localhost available on my Mac as well.
It should be possible, I figured, since I installed a webserver.
I'm on a small home network with 4 pc's and one mac, and I need them all connected to the linux box.

3) I understand I can download a program called WineX (or just Wine) to run Windows programs.
First issue: I can not get it to work
Second issue: Some people told me I should not use it, any reason why?

4) I don't get any sound on my box. The soundcard is tested and works, but when I use the cd player, I don't hear anything!
Do you know how to solve this?

I hope you can answer some of my questions, meanwhile, I'll go find some descent tutorials on how to make it all work, but your help would be greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot,
A linux newbie :)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
First off welcome to the board,

Second wow lots of questions ... I'll try to answer a few,

For the Mysql question do you have your PHP interpreter up and running?

3) I understand I can download a program called WineX (or just Wine)to run Windows programs.
First issue: I can not get it to work
Second issue: Some people told me I should not use it, any reason
why?
hmm... the second issue kinda answers your first, :) It seems that only Linux guru's can get that program to work ... Iv been able to play StarCraft with it and thats about it .... :no: Linux really is not a Gaming System ... but thats just my opinion.

4) I don't get any sound on my box. The soundcard is tested and works, but when I use the cd player, I don't hear anything! Do you know how to solve this?
Have you verified your card is installed and working via the Control Center
(I'm assuming you have a GUI installed here, Gnome or KDE)
Also check that your speakers are turned up (I'm not being mean)my speakers seem to have to be turned up all the way for me to hear things on one of my linux boxes -- don't know why but turing it up works so I go with it. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts

Nobody I know has made that work very well. There is a program "Win for Lin" that can painlessly run MS office apps but why when you have Star office? Search for win for lin, it has been said to work 10 times better than wine or as one article put it, "Finer than Wine"

·
Registered
852 Posts
4) I don't get any sound on my box. The soundcard is tested and works, but when I use the cd player, I don't hear anything!
Make sure the audio cable is hooked from the CD to the soundcard. Both red hat and mandrake picked my sound device up quicker than windows 98!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ohhhhhhhhh as I was about to post this I realized where your error is coming from regarding the PHP and MySQL..

To solve this and I can totally help you if you want :)

Uninstall the PHP redhat provides.

Go to www.php.net and get the source code package for Linux. The package redhat installed probably wasn't compiled with MySQL support when it was built.. You might be able to find a pre-compiled RPM at www.rpmfind.net (if this is greek please ask!)
Otherwise you can re-compile and during the "configure" command you can specify you'd like MySQL support built into PHP.

As to getting "localhost" to show up on the other machines in your network you'll just point their browsers to whatever IP is on the Linux machine (assuming DSL/Cable router here) you'd point your browser to 10.0.0.x or 192.168.0.x and the webpage should come up fine.

I agree with Jamman about the CD cable being hooked up to your soundcard.. I even made that mistake once ;)

Wine and WineX by extension can run some Windows programs but they tend to be buggy and slow (in my experience) There are some native Linux games (SimCity 3k and Return to Castle Wolfenstein come to mind) www.lokigames.com is a good place to start if you're a gamer and www.linuxmall.com as well for things linux. In terms of regular apps you're trying to emulate let us know and maybe we can suggest a Linux alternative.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.