Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a ACER ASPIRE 4315 Notebook and are very very new with Linux. I just got Linux Mint Elyssa to work close to 100% on my PC but now have this problem. Where I can watch DVD's no problems but once I put a Music CD in the CD/DVD Combo nothing happens. The green LED comes on and I can hear the CD spinning but that's where it ends nothing else happens. I can see it in the Linux Mint Elyssa OS anywhere. Like I said Linux is very new to me so I don't even know where to start looking. Please can someone help me I'm desperate and want the CD to work again.

Thanks

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Welcome to TSF!!

Hi,

I would like to know if you have tried to open a cd player, and tried to play the album in it. Or if you have tried double clicking on the album and tried to get one of the songs to play. I would say that you should start there and then see where it gets you.

Cheers!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Thanks for your reply. When I put a cd in the player nothing happens and I don't get a icon indicating the player is ready to play songs , so I can't click on anything to have a look at the songs. Yet when I put a DVD in it automatic opens TOTEM and starts playing the movie. It's just the CD's that is not working.

Thanks

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

When I insert a music cd into the player there is NO response in the OS that there are a CD in the player at all. It does not register that there are a CD in the Notebook. So I can't go into ANY application to see if I can open a track as there are no indication the CD is in the machine.

Thanks

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Hi,

Do you have more than one cd drive in the computer you have mint on. The reason that I ask is that if you do then you could try booting off it and then see if you can get that cd to read in the livecd. This will help us narrow it down to a hardware or software problem.

Cheers!

· Mentally divergent
1,343 Posts
I'm not familiar with the latest Mint distros. If you go into Entertainment, or Multimedia, or whatever Mint calls it, what apps do you see for CD's? I'd try several different CD's, including a non-DRM home-made music CD if you have one. Instead of waiting for the CD to be recognized, start the app and see if you can get it to probe the drive for a disc.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

No I only have one cd drive. If I boot to the mint livecd wont it go through the hole process of installing mint again? I wanted to do that earlier but I'm scared I will lose all my data I have on the hard drive. Also the fact that the DVD Movie is working is that not a indicator that the hardware side is ok?

Thanks

· Premium Member
6,569 Posts
Hi,

If you have a livecd you should be able to boot off it as much as you want. It is meant to be booted off of. That is the point. I will have to do a little looking to see if you are right about the drive though, I am not ready to concede to that yet.

Cheers!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi sorry took a while the live cd reboot did not work I also did a new install of Felicia and still the same problem CD not working DVD working 100% suspect the combo is crook and will need replacement. I had a quick look but how do you remove the combo from the acer aspire 4315. Not sure how to remove it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.