Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: What the heck is Linux? I know that it is an operating system. But what is the difference between Windows and Linux? Anyone wanna take a shot at it :guns: and kill the the confusion. :confused: Can someone explain what a kernal is ? I wanted to learn how to use Linux but what am I getting myself into? I have a computer that doesn't boot up too well so I wanted to use it as a spare computer. Could I install Linux to practice with on the computer? The computer is fairly old. Would it support an older model computer?

S

·
0 Posts
I have one question for you.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard do you think Windows is for configuration and usability?

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Linux is an operating system that was initially created as a hobby by a young student, Linus Torvalds, at the University of Helsinki in Finland. Linus had an interest in Minix, a small UNIX system, and decided to develop a system that exceeded the Minix standards. He began his work in 1991 when he released version 0.02 and worked steadily until 1994 when version 1.0 of the Linux Kernel was released. The current full-featured version is 2.4 (released January 2001) and development continues.

Linux is developed under the GNU General Public License and its source code is freely available to everyone. This however, doesn't mean that Linux and its assorted distributions are free -- companies and developers may charge money for it as long as the source code remains available. Linux may be used for a wide variety of purposes including networking, software development, and as an end-user platform. Linux is often considered an excellent, low-cost alternative to other more expensive operating systems.

Due to the very nature of Linux's functionality and availability, it has become quite popular worldwide and a vast number of software programmers have taken Linux's source code and adapted it to meet their individual needs. At this time, there are dozens of ongoing projects for porting Linux to various hardware configurations and purposes.

Linux has an official mascot, the Linux Penguin, which was selected by Linus Torvalds to represent the image he associates with the operating system he created.

Although many variations of the word Linux exist, it is most often pronounced with a short " i " and with the first syllable stressed, as in LIH-nucks.
- Linux.org

·
hey
10,189 Posts
GIT said:
:confused: What the heck is Linux? I know that it is an operating system. But what is the difference between Windows and Linux? Anyone wanna take a shot at it :guns: and kill the the confusion. :confused: Can someone explain what a kernal is ? I wanted to learn how to use Linux but what am I getting myself into? I have a computer that doesn't boot up too well so I wanted to use it as a spare computer. Could I install Linux to practice with on the computer? The computer is fairly old. Would it support an older model computer?
The kernal is the core of linux. Everything is built around that. This allows for greater customization. It is the program that runs all the other programs.

There are still distros of Linux that will work on a 386. If you want a decent startup distro look to Mandrake or Redhat.

S

·
0 Posts
I just wanted to see if he thought Windows was confusing and complicated to use...:winking:

Because if he does Linux is not for him...:rolleyes:

Linux makes Windows seem like childs play, IMHO

·
hey
10,189 Posts
I think linux is easier to move to if you are familar with DOS. The only problem I have is when I use Linux more, at work I tend to try and use Linux commands on machines. You ever sit at a DOS prompt at work and wonder why LS doesn't work?

S

·
0 Posts
Dos is what kept me away from computers.

When I first saw Windows I said YEAH now we got something here.

Not to many people want to fool with command lines and all that gunzip, makefile stuff.

That is is only thing that keeps me from using Linux all the time it is still not user friendly enough for the average person.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I once read an article that said "Look over at your VCR. If it is flashing "12:00" then Linux is not for you.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
JAMMAN said:
I once read an article that said "Look over at your VCR. If it is flashing "12:00" then Linux is not for you.
Hey, my VCR does that. Then again, I can't remember the last time I used it. I don't even think it is hooked up. The thing has be be from the early 90's.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I like Linux it's similar to Unix so if you don't mind the command line then its a good OS, especially since its open source. With the new GUI interfaces its almost as graphical as windows without the dependability problem. But as I say this I'm typing this on my XP OS so... but really as good as Linux is it just doesn't have mainstream support yet and until that happens I'm sticking with Microsoft.

Besides if I don't use their products I really don't have the right to complain about them..and where the fun in that??:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have one question for you.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard do you think Windows is for configuration and usability?

Windows is very easy. Its so easy I can remember alot of the configurations in my head just from someone explaining them to me. I just want to be very versatile when it comes to operating systems.
What is a source code? (I know I sound like a f.a.q.'s help wizard, but I am just ignorant when it comes to Linux, I guess because it isn't popular among the general population. I mean I haven't ran into a situation where, I have asked someone if they have Linux and they have actually said "Yes!")
Can I download the source code from the net and Create my own Linux?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You can download Linux from the net, whatever "flavor" you want, but you'll defiantly need a broadband connection, and some help files if you don't go out and buy the prepackaged version with the help manuals.

Source Code is what something is before its compiled (I'm not sure if that clear enough but cant really describe it any better need more :coffee::)

You can modify the source code and compile your own kernel for Linux but unless your very very advanced with the system I highly recommend against it. But that is one of the advantages of open-source -- fully customizable.

S

·
0 Posts
GIT

I would have answered yes two days ago because I was using Mandrake for about a month.

But alas it is gone now. If you don't have broadband I'll be more than happy to send you the three disks if you PM me your address....:D

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Speedo, what happened with Mandrake? Decide you didn't like it or it get corrupted?

I'm going to be putting the latest version on my system in a few minutes so I wont be here for awhile. (Some would say this is a good thing..others would agree. :))

S

·
0 Posts
TheTechIsIn

I needed the hard drive for my daughters machine.

She will be coming home from school in a week and the old drive ( ATA33 ) just had to go...:D

A nice P3 1.2 gig. machine getting dragged down by that old drive was getting on my nerves....LOL

When I get another drive this week I am going to dedicate it to Mandrake without doing a dual boot.

I'm going to use quick swap trays.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All this Linux smoke is inspiring me to search for the fire myself. I'm going to dredge up the two sets of Linix I stashed at the bottom of my
cd programs pile. I have a hard drive with Windows 95 and an assortment of other useless programs on it which I've married
with success to an older pentium. I'll try to install one of the Linux
programs. That way if mickey-mousing my network becomes
too impossible, I'll have something to play with!

I too admire the phrase "I'd very much advise against it"

netnanna

We don't like their sound, and guiter music is on its way out.
DECCA RECORDS executive, rejecting the Beatles in 1963.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:D :D Thanks Speedo! I got the disks!

:dontknow: Now what do I do? Before installing Linux do you recommend that I reformat the hardrive or partition, or both?

Right now the system is running on WIN98.

I want the hardrive to be soley devoted to Linux, no WIN to make the system crash.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.