Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work for this computer repair and training place. we do a lot of work with people with disabilities, and the local state blind services will provide computers for the our blind clients, if they can get thier typing up to 30 wpm, which they usually can't cause they don't have any computer to practice on at home. the computers in the shop is thier only way, and transportation is usually difficult for them

what were thinking is a custom built box (not a computer case, just a plastic lab box) with a PS/2 port or USB port for a keyboard for them to practice on. just a black plastic box, is what the boss wants

I was thinking, mini ITX atom motherboard, CF/IDE flash card, and linux, and and an amplified speaker taken apart inside and mounted in the case

I have linux expirence, hell i'm running ubuntu
server for our shop fileserver in linux raid 1. but this is an area of linux i'm kinda newbied with

what I would want is a basic linux console to load, with a sound driver
loaded, and some kind of application, that just sounds out what key is typed on the keyboard. I've done C before but not on linux, and I don't know the sound api's much, i'm thinking, just some program to fetch the keystroke, and play a locally stored WAV. I don't deal much with this area of linux, I usually deal with the server stuff, so this is kind of a new area for me

is sound capability X only? can you play sounds from the console? I think I can achieve this with a PHP script using read and play but i'm not sure about linux sound support

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
I have no experience with any of this either but I do know that Knoppix6 when it boots and when it shuts down gives an audible "indication" of what it is doing, which might be a good starting point for you.

Most audio is usually configured via ALSA so a small amplifier and speaker might work here, however during searches over the last months I have seen USB - Audio adapters which may or not help to feed Sound and Voltage to an amplifier as you suggested. I haven't purchased any to see what or how they work.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we've had some of those USB speakers at work and they basically have a small sound processing chip, and a built in amp, and they do run off USB power. I was thinking of just taking apart an amplified speaker, and soldering thier 120v input to the power supply input

thank you for your reply, this is one i'm still figuring out but I will look further into knoppix

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.