Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced an issue on Redhat Linux when using FTP. When we look at the date/time on the files just using telnet they are correct, but when viewed after FTPing to the server, it shows a 4 hour time difference. It looks like it is GMT but the system and hardware clocks are all set appropriately.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ps. I am new to Linux so the obvious may be true :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm running Core 9, and I think you are right. I'm in Colorado which is 7 hrs from GMT. Except during the install I checked off the button that had "local time" or GMT.

One way to check, I think, is from a text command line window, run the command "touch <some new file name>". Touch is a program from the C/C++, make suite of programs for program development. It is used to change the times on files to the current time, so that when you type in "make" the files that were just edited will get compiled. To force a compile without editing, the touch program simulates an edit session (by changing the last time the file was saved). If you give it a name for a file that doesn't exist, it will create a zero length file of that name. Run the program touch and see if the file create time is 4 hours off.

I don't know what exactly the problem is, but this should tell you what time the kernel thinks it is.

Don't forget to delete that file.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.