Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

Im planning to set up a cyber cafe, but dont want to use cisco pix firewall because its expensive for me.

I was advised to use LINUX.

But the problem actually is this - is LINUX firewall a software or hardware?

If it is a software, on which hardware will I install it? then, can LINUX be used in the same environment with Windows server 2003? because im planning to install Windows server 2003 on the server?

Please help me out, i want a very good security system installed at reasonable cost.

thanks a lot.

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,529 Posts
Hi,

Linux firewalls are all software, they are running a lot of platforms. Cisco uses linux to run their pix firewall, although it is very closed source. You will find linux firewalls on all routers that are out on the market today. It isn't your normal linux as most users would think of it but a very limited version of linux that is written for firewalls.

I am going to have to talk to the microsoft people on the forum and have them comment on what type of security you should use as per your windows 2003 server. I am more than willing to help you with the linux protion of it but I just don't know enough about the windows to be very helpful.

Cheers!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Linux is an operating system, not a firewall. Firewall based distros are just minimal operating systems focused on security. What hardware would you install it on? The server that's connected to the outside network. If the Windows box and Linux box are connected via the network, you won't have trouble with them working together.

Is there any reason you're going with Windows server instead of just building a Linux server? Price, stability, uptime, and security = Linux excels. Debian, Slackware, or FreeBSD are best for server apps. If you're not set on Windows, it'd be worth a look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.