Tech Support banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
My 7.3 second boot chart with Arch Linux and SystemD

The screen plot shows what can be acheived with a little tweaking, a 7.3second boot time or 7340ms boot with Arch Linux, a SATA II hard drive and
some tweaking.

If you think thats fast, some of the other "Archers" have fine tuned to under 2 seconds with a solid state drive (SSD). The downside is this is not a beginners distro and one of the hardest to use. You need a minimum of 6 months at the console before you should even consider installing Arch.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
ArchLinux + KDE + Conky + Conkywx :)

Dock: CairoDock
Desktop Theme: Gaia10
Icons: Reflektions
Font: Aller
Window Decoration: Oxygen
Widget Style: Bespin

Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2243ms (kernel) + 5416ms (userspace) = 7660ms
[[email protected] ~]$ systemd-analyze blame
  1827ms NetworkManager.service
   927ms systemd-vconsole-setup.service
   909ms systemd-logind.service
   730ms media-archive.mount
   435ms media-win7.mount
   356ms console-kit-log-system-start.service
   323ms systemd-remount-fs.service
   286ms systemd-sysctl.service
   276ms dev-hugepages.mount
   269ms tmp.mount
   266ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
   263ms systemd-udevd.service
   156ms wpa_supplicant.service
   120ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
   119ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
    81ms upower.service
    70ms console-kit-daemon.service
    51ms dev-mqueue.mount
    44ms systemd-user-sessions.service
    23ms udisks.service
     1ms proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount
[[email protected] ~]$

Attachments

·
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
All on a SATA II hard drive as well. Did you use Arch stock kernel or compile your own?
You would probably boot in about 2 or 3 seconds with an SSD.

I got my boot under 10 seconds, by assigning a static network address and disabling staggered spin up of my two hard drives by appending

libahci.ignore_sss=1

to my kernel boot time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
With SSD it will probably 2 seconds :) But with HDD 7-8 is fine for now :)

Now I have only one HDD so I think it wont work for me, but I am waiting for the December release this time I will disable all the services that I don't need :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Screenshots from new installation :) This time I use orginal panel as a dock instead of Cairodock, and change theme colors :)

I removed Network manager and decided to use dhcpcd.service and here is the result :) dhcpcd.service starts in 150-250 ms :)

systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2191ms (kernel) + 4511ms (userspace) = 6703ms

·
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Unity with Unsettings (Ubuntu 12.10)

If you miss having the Trashcan and Icons on your desktop, hate having to press Alt for menues to appear on the top, dislike having Amazon results appearing when you search for apps in the software centre and cannot hide the launcher then "Unsettings" is for you.

Open the terminal and type each line:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:diesch/testing
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install unsettings

Unsettings will appear under System settings and you can tweak away to your hearts content. This screenshot shows a large Trashcan (well I make some large errors), the nautilus file manager with /home folder and menues under titlebar, not the panel.

The launcher is still available and can be hidden some non GTK apps menu still appears on top panel after pressing Alt, but overall Unsettings is a great app.

Attachments

·
Moderator, Articles Team , Alternative Computing
4,537 Posts

Picture 1 shows the shexy cinnamon desktop start menu with the terminal running the very useful htop program which shows system resources, which programs and tasks are running and the ability to kill them.

Screen 2 shows the cool cover flow alt-tab extension as a bit of eye candy when your alt-tabbing it through your open windows.....as you do :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another Arch user here. My window manager of choice is dwm, though I also had a pretty good openbox configuration on my debian box. As you can tell, I haven't really done much as far as graphical enhancements, and I really don't care so much for eye candy, but hell if it hasn't taken a lot of work to get this distro and window manager working exactly how I want it (although I am still trying to divine how systemd works, hahaha). I'm not much of a fan of fully-featured desktop environments either, just give me X and a window manager or even just TTY. :D

I really want to try out Gentoo or FreeBSD sometime but for now I think I still like debian the best.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
Hey guys!

I've been wanting to post here for a while now, I had no idea how you guys did this stuff. But, now I've made my first Conky based theme. It wasn't completely my own. I got it as a theme, but I did quite a bit of work on it to get it right. The theme was called Infinity, maybe you might know it. It's a start though right?

Here it is:

I'd love to hear from you guys, tips, tricks anything! Suggestions!

I'm loving Linux! I'm loving CrunchBang!

GitHub: Babbzzz

61 - 80 of 111 Posts