Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, now I know how our new members feel when they dont find the correct forum to suit their issue :smile:

Anywho, I have a Linksys 4-port Router, BEFSR41 V.2
Everytime I try to access the router via the browser it rejects my password. I have to reset the router to default then set it up again. I just changed my password the other day, closed my browser, reopened and everything was hunky dorry. I tried to enter tonight and it wont accept the password.

Is this a sign of a failing router?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Linksys BEFSR41? i thought they were found only in museums :grin:

yes its very much possible that the router may be failing. have you tried it without changing the default username and password? i mean are you able to login to the router without issues if you dont change the admin username/pass?

you may also try performing a firmware upgrade on the router but i don't think Linksys has bothered to release anything new.

8/30/2004 was the latest i could find on their site
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...636615&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

if you have one older than this one then try the update

·
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well then my place is a museum :laugh:
Yeah its about 6 yrs old.

have you tried it without changing the default username and password? i mean are you able to login to the router without issues if you dont change the admin username/pass?
I tried to get in last week, I couldnt using the default password. So I reset to default and then changed the password as I thought someone was playing around and either hacked it or I dont know what I was thinking. :rolleyes:
My sons friends were having him in it one day as they were going to try to access his pc, I am affraid to tell them there was no way they were getting in that way. I think they were trying to have him forward ports but he was in the wrong tab anyhow so I changed my password to keep my kid out.

I have updated the firmware before, but had to revert back as it caused conflicts with my sons gaming. He plays xbox, (back then it was just xbox) and it didnt play nice with the upgrade. Now hes playing xbo 360 and is having issues using xbc. I was going to forward port 8602 last night becoz he cant see his cousin game console and they cant see his but everyone else can see his and theirs....hope that made sense
Anyhow I found it wouldnt accept the password again and have came to a conclusion that it could be failing but was unsure so I thought I would ask the experts :grin:

·
Registered
127 Posts
well if a firmware upgrade and reset did not take care of it then i don't see what else could. unless someone else here has a suggestion i would recommend dumping that router for a new one. 6 years is quite 'old' for a router. if you hold onto it for another 6 it will probably fetch you millions as an antique :grin:

you may want to give Linksys a holler and see if they have any tricks up their sleeve

·
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stupily I typed in the wrong password, this was after I changed it. But that does not answer my question to why it required resetting in the first place. Why would it lose its password recognition in the first place and why I had to reset it to default.
I will keep an eye on this, I know it is old and there will be a time when it needs replaced but for now I am able to access the settings and have forwarded the ports I needed to.

Thanks for your replies, they are very much appreciated :grin:

TJ

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
This almost seems to be a trend with BEFSR41 routers. I was working on a client's SOHO system just last week and the password borked out on his BEFSR41 v3.0 - the assigned password and default password did not work. While it is possible the router may have been hacked, it usually doesn't happen with such small-fry routers.

There have been 5 iterations of the BEFSR41, from v1.0 to v4.1 . This series of routers seem to have given a lot of grief over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.