Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem that is concerning me alot. Is this related to the linksys router or is it from someone on that router directly trying to access my computer? This was posted in another forum here, but I recieved no replies, and these security issues keep arising constantly at random Times.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=73161

Is this from the router or is this from a person on the router trying to access my computer.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Whatever it is, Norton is blocking it. If the alert is bothering you, then check where it says "Don't create a security alert for this threat again". Firewalls can create a lot of "false positives", and if you keep getting hit with the same alert message, then I doubt you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for replying. I did do that and i Blieve that section was there to stop the continuous pop up, as far as the information goes, i am not sure what to look for. I mean, I could open up norton and post it's log, but I donno what to make of it to be honest. The security intrusions have stopped for now, which just makes me figure that it was someone :S.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It doesn't have to be "someone". It could also be an automated bot or a worm. In any case, you should be able to setup Restricted Zones where you can add offending IP addresses or subnets. If you don't trust the people on your LAN, then it's probably not a good idea to use their network. You probably should set your firewall to block the private subnet except for the router, which for a Linksys should be 192.168.1.1. You should also know what your IP address is to make sure it's not your own computer that is causing the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem is I have to go through their router. It's not that I don't trust them, I just can't think of any plausable reason for those security intrusions. I mean, at 2 am, I could see those pop-ups coming on again, and I could hear two people upstairs kinda talking, so I disconnected my connection, waited 30 seconds reconnected it, and the pop-up showed it's face again. I did that for about 30 minutes, and they still were semi talking at random Times, walking around, possibly to the router, or just to get a coke(i honestly don't know). Either way, when the noises settled down and they both went to sleep the pop-ups had stopped. So, i donno. I am jumping the gun, but when it comes to my personal life, in reality and virtually, I take it very seriously. I will not accept the possibility of someone roaming through my computer, even if there is nothing on it, it is still my personal 'area' so to say. We'll see how everything goes, I havnt had anymore of those pop-ups yet, but then again, I'll wait till tonight to see if they come around again.

So you are saying I can set up my firewall to block the specific IP addresses? That would be great to do, can you by chance tell me a source where I can read up on how to do that. That would be greatly appricated. I'll do a search myself, but if someone can inform me it would be a great Time saver.

On a kind of side note, I've always wondered about Windows XP shared folders and workgroups. By default I assume they are not open to anyone on the network, but that's an assumption and I don't entirely know how to check if mine are open or 'closed'.(sorry, not too good with the terms, and I probably have the concept wrong, if I do could someone correct me) I donno, it's just another side worry for me. I am trying to find all of the basic weak access points into this computer, I figure maybe if I know atleast those, I can start to better inform myself about computer security, and atleast have a basic ground work to revert back to if something hazy is going on.

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Well, there is no sense in making yourself paranoid. Norton is doing its job and that's all that matters.

Blake7 said:
So you are saying I can set up my firewall to block the specific IP addresses? That would be great to do, can you by chance tell me a source where I can read up on how to do that.
Look for "Internet Zone Control", and there should be a Restricted section you can add IP addresses to.

Blake7 said:
On a kind of side note, I've always wondered about Windows XP shared folders and workgroups. By default I assume they are not open to anyone on the network, but that's an assumption and I don't entirely know how to check if mine are open or 'closed'
Disable File and Printer Sharing in your TCP/IP properties.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Much appricated, that's a huge weight off my mind. Though, unfortunatly, I am never content until I know all I can know about a situation, so I'll still be marginally paranoid/curious about the origin/reason for those messages, but now I won't sweet it like I was earlier. Thanks alot Resolution.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Glad I could help. :smile: As long as you aren't running any services that could be exploited (FTP, Telent, Webserver, etc.), then it would be fairly hard to gain access to your computer, even if you didn't have a firewall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There's a large list of services that are all unchecked except for one in Windows Firewall - Adanced Settings.

It's called Teredo, not a clue what that is, I should do a check up on it just for information sake. Last Time I de-selected it, and restarted my computer it was selected again. Not too sure about it, kind of brushed it off. I figure I'll de-select it everytime I re-boot my computer, just for safety sakes, unless I find it's a standard service :sayno: no idea though. And my "ICMP" settings has one checked in that list, "Allow incoming echo requests". Not sure if I should just leave that selected or not, I figure, there is no point for it? It says it's commonly used for troubleshooting. If there is a problem I can always re-select it, we'll see if it buggers up my connection.

Thanks for the info.

Teredo Overview
Published: January 1, 2003 | Updated: June 29, 2005
Abstract

Teredo is an IPv6 transition technology that provides address assignment and host-to-host automatic tunneling for unicast IPv6 connectivity when IPv6/IPv4 hosts are located behind one or multiple IPv4 network address translators (NATs). To traverse IPv4 NATs, IPv6 packets are sent as IPv4-based User Datagram Protocol (UDP) messages....

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/teredo.mspx
Mm.. seems like I'm going to be looking up some terms and reading an article or two. Either way, my connection seems to be fine with it disabled so it's going to stay that way.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you have Norton Firewall, then you don't need to have the Windows firewall enabled. You can disable it.

You can find information on Teredo here. I'm not sure why that is there, but if you have IPV6 installed in your TCP/IP settings, then you should probably uninstall it (unless you actually need it).

Blake7 said:
And my "ICMP" settings has one checked in that list, "Allow incoming echo requests". Not sure if I should just leave that selected or not, I figure, there is no point for it?
You need that if you want to receive ping replys. It doesn't matter anyway, because you should only have one firewall enabled, and that is Norton.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.